Can't get Traeger stove to work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weeks

Dec 15, 2012
Willamina, Oregon
I bought a fixer-upper house last year and I moved in a month ago. There's a Traeger stove in the garage and I can't get it to work. The neighbor told me that the stove used to be in the living room but there's a gas fireplace there now.

Anyway all I can find online is that Traeger was sold to Earth Stove and now seems to be owned by Lenox. I can't find a model number on it and I'm not sure how much that will help me since I can't find a manual to download.

I vacuumed it out prior to filling the hopper and it's as clean as I can get it. When I plug it in, all that happens is the fans come on. I get some humming sounds but that could be from the fans. Would it be worth calling a fireplace shop and getting a tech out here or is it likely not worth fixing. I'd really like to find the model number for my own satisfaction if for nothing else so if you know where to look, I'd like to hear from you...

where do you live, what model traeger? info in yer sig please...and welcome

I've updated that info. I live in Willamina, Oregon on the Polk county side of town. This is a rather BFE small town and If I called someone for service they would have to drive at least 30 minutes to get here.

I don't know what model stove it is and I'm still looking for that info. Any chance you know where to look?

Tony

I was tinkering with it for awhile and I found a couple wires disconnected. I reconnected them and now it feeds but it won't light. I think if I just let it go, it would keep filling up the burner until it over flowed.

On the back there's a switch showing low, medium and high feed speeds but it only seems to feed on high. The burner may be burnt out because it drops pellets into the ash pan even without overflowing.

I think this stove needs professional help but I don't know it's worth the cost. If it's not fixable, it would be cheaper to switch heating my workshop with NG.

Tony

I've been hearing about the same opinion from the guys at the local hardware store. Everyone I talk to about it tells me to try to fix it myself. I'm not opposed to that but I'm totally in the dark here since this is nothing like I've ever worked on before. If I could get a manual or something to give me a clue as where to start, it would seriously help.

Since I started tinkering with this, I've managed to get the feed going and it seems like the controls work. I was told it was a manual light and that's why I couldn't get it to fire up. Duh... Anyway I used a small candle to get it lit and it's hard to tell but it seems to pretty much run at full on all the time. There's a couple feed speeds but the thermostat is missing so I don't know if that part works.

It also slowly smokes up the room so I turned off the feed and opened the door to the shop to air out the room. Right now I'm thinking if I can fix it for under $150 in parts, I'll keep it but otherwise I'll sell it for parts.

So anybody know where I can get some info on it? An owners manual would be a good start but a repair manual would be better.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.