Can't get vent apart to clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johndeere216

Dec 27, 2009
Beaver Falls Pa
After 4 years I decided I had better get my chimney cleaned. Yesterday I had a chimney sweep out, but we couldn't get the connection from the stove to the chimney apart. There is a double hose clamp thing on there. Both clamps are loose, but I when I grab the corrugated pipe and twist it, it only turns about 1/8th inch sided to side but doesn't seem to push up. I honestly can't even tell where it is supposed to be coming apart. The sweep said he is basically a "wood guy" and is afraid to break anything, but if I can get it apart he will come back. Any advice? Thanks

The stove is a Quad Santa Fe insert.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 129
Are you un-clipping where the arrows are?

Attachments

• clips.JPG
    clips.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 93
Ok, I unclipped the clips, but still no movement. Then I saw there are 2 screws that go through the flange. If I manage to get the one in the back out, I don't see how I'd ever be able to get it back in again?

Did you take the clips off where it hooks on the flange? They unhook, you can't just un-clip them. Not sure why there are screws there. I have the Quad CB1200i and you just un-clip and unhook and it comes right off. No screws at all. There is a gasket in there as well. That screw is a guide for the flange. Look at page 42 of your OM.

Attachments

• Quad Santa Fe Insert page 42.png
    Quad Santa Fe Insert page 42.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Yep. Took them off. I can see the gasket around the flanges, but there are 2 screws that go up from the bottom that go through both flanges. The on in front is at 5 oclock and the one in the back about 11. I can only feel it with my fingers.....it's pretty inacessible.....

Yep. Took them off. I can see the gasket around the flanges, but there are 2 screws that go up from the bottom that go through both flanges. The on in front is at 5 oclock and the one in the back about 11. I can only feel it with my fingers.....it's pretty inacessible.....
I just looked again, and there are actually holes on all 4 corner of that flange, but they only used 2 on opposing corners when they put it together.

I just looked again, and there are actually holes on all 4 corner of that flange, but they only used 2 on opposing corners when they put it together.
I think what mralias is saying is that the screws are actually functioning as alignment pins only. They aren't actually holding the flanges together.

Reactions: mralias
Status
Not open for further replies.