Can't seem to decide on what stove to get fot the house Regency or Pacific Energy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter_nate

Dec 21, 2009
SW Ontario
Hello all been a while since i've been on here. The wife and I thinking about putting a stove in our house. I am torn between two different makes Regency of Pacific Energy any insight? Also our house is a two story with 10' ceilings with 1700 square feet of living space and about 100 years old. The stove will be going in to the living room on the main floor which has the staircase going upstaris just off of that room would a 2000 square foot box be sufficant or should we maybe go bigger?

Regards

With 10 foot ceilings I'd go 3 cubic foot or larger. A 1700 sq ft house with 10 foot ceilings is much larger than a 1700 sq ft house with 7 1/2 ceilings.

Also, how is your floorplan? It sounds like you might have a Victorian. They are often cut up into small rooms making them harder to heat with a space heater like a wood stove.

Matt

It sounds like you're talking about an insert and not a stove. If this is true then don't worry about oversizing, because your fan speed will dictate your heat output. For a free-standing stove this is not the case, and it is not uncommon to cook yourself out of your favorite room. However, with modern air-tight stoves the control over heat output is greatly improved, or so I've heard from others on this board.

I've got an insert about 3.0cf which is on the larger side. Without the blower its a very small heater just right for a 14x22 family room with 14' ceilings, slowly diffusing heat to the rest of the downstairs (1200 sqft). With the blower on full and the stove getting enough air it is A VERY LARGE heater that will quickly (30 minutes) raise the temp of the family room to over 90 degrees and force us out of the room.

Get the biggest insert/firebox you can fit.

Summit insert. Nuff said.

Not sure if this is an insert or freestanding? If the floorplan is pretty open then either stove in 3 cu ft would work. Given this is an old home, you might also look at the PE Alderlea for a less modern look and a stove with more mass.

The stove is not in insert it will be freestanding. Floor plan is fairly open Living room and dining room are attached and the kitchen and front hallway are right off of them with regular sized walk throughs.

Both company stoves are good. I like the looks of the Alderlea and its extra mass for softening the heat and longer residual warmth, but then again that's partially because I own one. For 100% success, get the one your wife likes best. :)

then summit freestanding.

Me . . . I would lean more towards the PE . . . but that's just me . . . I think either stove would work well for you.

Thanks to all.
I think we will probably go with the Summit but not till a little later on, got laid off for a few weeks :-S I'll check back in when we do get it installed with some pics.

Sounds like ya got some time to cut some wood. ;-)

I would go with the medium sized regency its a real work horse. Regency also has the lifetime warranty even for the glass. The medium is also a better bag for your buck because its deeper than the largr 3100 and you could actually fit more wood in a deeper stove acheiving the high BTU for longer periods of time. you could load for your long burn from front to back (north and south)utilizing the space in between the logs to slide another log in, rather than trying to reach over when you load left to right (east and west).Just remember to always leaves gaps in between for circulation .

I recommend the Avalon Rainier 90 (for obvious reasons, but I truly think it is a fine stove). If I HAD to choose between your two, I'd buy the Regency. Why? Dunno............just like the look, I guess. I know that's not very helpful from a scientific point of view, but let's face it..........they all burn wood.......efficiency is 70% us, and 30% "the stove" (imho).

-Soupy1957

I just bougt a PE Super 27 yesterday, so I'm going to say go with the PE!

30% is a government tax credit here in the states for buying an EPA certified stove. The dealer I bought my PE from just happened to have a sale going on this month. The sales, the tax credit and the great stove made it an easy decission.

Well first quote done the installer said that it wood be cheaper to run the piping thru the house rather then outside which I thought it would be more due to the labour involved. Their price with the Super 27 is $4400 give or take a couple hundred plus a hearth pad. Next qoute is on Weds.

Summit all the way. Your profile pic is very odd, reminds of someone from another forum?

scooter_nate said:
Well first quote done the installer said that it wood be cheaper to run the piping thru the house rather then outside which I thought it would be more due to the labour involved. Their price with the Super 27 is $4400 give or take a couple hundred plus a hearth pad. Next qoute is on Weds.

That seems a bit high. I would have expected it to come in about $1000 less. Did they break out the costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.