Can't stop fiddling with my PDV question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pellet rick

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2015
Pottstown PA.
ok this question is on the exhaust. Right now I have a clean out T on the back of the stove then it goes vertical for another 5 feet to a 90% . Then it goes thru my wall for about 2 feet horizontal to a cap. Question is , is there any advantages to turning 90%where it exists the house and for vertical for a few feet then the cap? Would it improve the draft and air flow in the burn pot

That's the way my new smart stove is set up works great. Straight out about 3 feet with end cap ..

Reactions: Pellet rick
ok this question is on the exhaust. Right now I have a clean out T on the back of the stove then it goes vertical for another 5 feet to a 90% . Then it goes thru my wall for about 2 feet horizontal to a cap. Question is , is there any advantages to turning 90%where it exists the house and for vertical for a few feet then the cap? Would it improve the draft and air flow in the burn pot

Rick, I've only had one stove in my life and it's a Quad so I have no real experience with an Englander but I think the first question to ask is, "Are you experiencing some problem that you're trying to solve"? If the answer is,"yes" then maybe you could describe the problem.

Rick, I've only had one stove in my life and it's a Quad so I have no real experience with an Englander but I think the first question to ask is, "Are you experiencing some problem that you're trying to solve"? If the answer is,"yes" then maybe you could describe the problem.
Thanks, as of now my stove is burning better then most of the PDV's that are talked about on the forums. That being said , I have done different mod's and adjustments to it to make it burn well. I just think in my mind that there's always room for improvement. My thought was that if I could create more flue draft it would pull more air through the burn box making it burn even better. The biggest problem with the pdv and it's little brother the pdvc is lack of air flow. Thus the reasons for the burn pot mods.

Makes sense. We all want every BTU we can get out of every pound of pellets but don't forget that extra draft might mean more heat up the exhaust. Have no idea how calculate the "break even" point on something like that. I've read of people using small fans pointed at the exhaust to extract a little more heat out of the exhaust gas before it leaves the house.

I don't think adding a third 90 would help your draft.

Not an expert on this my any means, but how would more pipe/draft do anything with a stove that works with a combustion blower? I've had my stove since 2008 and the best thing I ever did for it was plug the large holes in the burn pot to allow more air over the pellets for a cleaner/ hotter burn. But always interested in ideas for an even BETTER burn.

Not an expert on this my any means, but how would more pipe/draft do anything with a stove that works with a combustion blower? I've had my stove since 2008 and the best thing I ever did for it was plug the large holes in the burn pot to allow more air over the pellets for a cleaner/ hotter burn. But always interested in ideas for an even BETTER burn.
My theory was that the flue of a wood burner creates more draft with a long tall chimney so if a pellet stove was able to create more draft it might help the combustion blower move air easier. But it just might flow heat up the chimney as well