Can't wait to start a fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought three cords and its a wet.

I'd suggest getting on the horn and finding a place (like tractor supply, a stove shop, etc) that is selling the man made fuel for wood stoves such as biobricks, eco logs, envi blocks, etc, etc.

As much as it sucks to spend money on fuel, it's a heck of a lot better than struggling day in and day out trying to run a stove on something that's not meant to be in it (unseasoned wood) and then having to deal with the extra cleanings of the chimney and the associated risk involved with creosote build-up.

pen

I'd suggest getting on the horn and finding a place (like tractor supply, a stove shop, etc) that is selling the man made fuel for wood stoves such as biobricks, eco logs, envi blocks, etc, etc.

As much as it sucks to spend money on fuel, it's a heck of a lot better than struggling day in and day out trying to run a stove on something that's not meant to be in it (unseasoned wood) and then having to deal with the extra cleanings of the chimney and the associated risk involved with creosote build-up.

pen
Thanks, I am already on it. I spoke to a guy about envi blocks. He was going away so I have to wait for him to get back. 310 for a ton. I research it and it looks pretty good. Pricy but good. I am calling a guy who kiln drys tomorrow. I can't Waite to see what he charges. You can bet I won't be in this spot next year. I am on it already.

Thanks, I am already on it. I spoke to a guy about envi blocks. He was going away so I have to wait for him to get back. 310 for a ton. I research it and it looks pretty good. Pricy but good. I am calling a guy who kiln drys tomorrow. I can't Waite to see what he charges. You can bet I won't be in this spot next year. I am on it already.

Just to warn you "kiln dried" when it comes to firewood sometimes means it was heated to X temperature for X period of time and not necessarily heated to a truly dry state like lumber. Generally as I've seen it, kiln dried is done for commercial firewood so that it can be sold w/out fear of bugs.

Just because wood is "kiln dried" it doesn't necessarily mean it's as dry as it should be. However, it's gotta be better than sopping wet.

Just a heads up.

Just to warn you "kiln dried" when it comes to firewood sometimes means it was heated to X temperature for X period of time and not necessarily heated to a truly dry state like lumber. Generally as I've seen it, kiln dried is done for commercial firewood so that it can be sold w/out fear of bugs.

Just because wood is "kiln dried" it doesn't necessarily mean it's as dry as it should be. However, it's gotta be better than sopping wet.

Just a heads up.
I did not know that. I will go for the envi blocks then. I have a half cord or better of dried wood. One of the members who was moving gave to me. I am going to try that accelerate drying technique I read on one of the threads here. The green house thing. Get some pallets and whatever else. I make it work as cheep as I can. Thanks for the help Pen
Mike

I did not know that. I will go for the envi blocks then. I have a half cord or better of dried wood. One of the members who was moving gave to me. I am going to try that accelerate drying technique I read on one of the threads here. The green house thing. Get some pallets and whatever else. I make it work as cheep as I can. Thanks for the help Pen
Mike

Maybe the kiln drier you have in mind does take his to a low moisture content, but just wanted to make sure you knew some just do it enough to make sure bugs are legitimately cooked.

With a mixture like you are talking about, I'd say you have a good plan and will make out well.

The first year is always the hardest. But it sounds like you are well ahead of the curve.

Have fun

EDIT: I just see scotty mentioned JustWood to you earlier. I missed that and how close you were to him. If you call him and he says he has wood you can burn now as it's ready, it should be quality stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.