canvas tarp on opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
im including a pic of my woodshed......how would be the best way to attatch a canvas tarp in this opening to keep rain and snow out?....just place it up with nails?..then put 2x4's over and nail the 2x4's to the tarp?

2011-10-08110643.jpg

I would use 1x3 or 1x2. Wrap it around a couple of times, to get the correct angle then screw it to the first roof rafter.

Reactions: swagler85
I would use 1x3 or 1x2. Wrap it around a couple of times, to get the correct angle then screw it to the first roof rafter.

thats what i would do too.

Are you wanting to cover the small back porch area as well?
Are the tarps sacrificially - or decent for a few years use?

If it were me(I try to do things once if possible), I'd fir out the rafter on the woodshed extension to bring it in the same plane as the existing log building rafter.
Then sandwich the tarp with a ripped 2x4 or some 1x3 strapping(measuring the pitch so the bottom edge is parrallel to ground) leave the wood long/proud of the tarp edge and then set it on the sill of the woodshed and put a block on the existing log shed rafter use a few long screws to secure it.
That way when next drying season comes you can remove the entire tarp/strapping as one unit roll it up and hang it on some hooks on back of woodshed posts.

Maybe anchor the tarp to the top, attach a 2x4 or pipe to the bottom of the canvas and have the ability to roll up/ drop down the canvas when the weather conditions warrant. That way, when the weather is good, you can open up the shed to breathe.

Reactions: bogydave
Secure one side of the tarp, I use roofing nails in the eyelets, then use bungee cords on the other side. Crimp the s hooks so they can't fall off of the tarp and install hooks on the shed. That way you can unhook it to access the wood. The canvass does a great job keeping the snow and rain out.

If it were me, I'd hate to mess up the area with tarps. But then, I'd simply leave it as it is. What little rain/snow gets on the ends won't make any difference with the wood. But if you do get lots of snow and it is positioned right so that the snow blows in, then it would make sense to put up a wall. I just would not use tarps.

Love the logs.

Maybe anchor the tarp to the top, attach a 2x4 or pipe to the bottom of the canvas and have the ability to roll up/ drop down the canvas when the weather conditions warrant. That way, when the weather is good, you can open up the shed to breathe.

+1
2 hooks at the top to hang the 2X4 on when the tarp is rolled up.
Brown tarp, I hate the blue ones. LOL :)

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.