Carbon build up in Harman Accentra auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed a squeal, ever now and then this morning when the auger would turn, so I did a search and found a thread here that discussed this, I will post the link to thread at the bottom. But what a great thread, after reading it I shut my stove down and while it was cooling down noticed how much carbon there was built up around the auger.
In Kentucky my stove rarely burns very hot then with the addition of an OAK the humidity in the air probably contributed to this also. As soon as it shut down, I started cleaning and wish I had a before & after picture.

The carbon build up was restricting the movement of the pellets up into my burn pot, which was causing the fire to burn even closer to the auger and I believe that adds to more carbon build up.

LINK to a great discussion on about this.: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/does-your-harman-xxv-make-a-squealing-noise.9625/

Yes, this is something to pay very close attention to. A quick scrape once or twice during the week and a full scrape on the weekends is best. Maybe more or less depending on the pellets burned. This will keep the carbon deposits to a minimum. Harman tool works ok, but a mechanics pry bar (14" or so, available at Sears) works best since it's gives you way more leverage. Scrape the bottom and sides until smooth. Use a flashlight to check your work or a head mounted light to do a thorough job. Before I finish, I vacuum out the carbon to insure it's gone and outa there.

My service dealer gave me a suggestion in my first year of ownership. Keep the feed rate low so that the pellets burn hotter and in the back of the pot. I keep my feed rate set to 3. I scrape the burn pot every time I load a bag using an automotive gasket scraper. I shutdown the stove about every 2 to 3 weeks for a more thorough cleaning.

Reactions: THE ROOSTER
Ill scrape the burn pot everyday, but once a week ill shut the stove down and thoroughly scrape any carbon deposits out of the burnpot with a flathead screwdriver.

Ill scrape the burn pot everyday, but once a week ill shut the stove down and thoroughly scrape any carbon deposits out of the burnpot with a flathead screwdriver.
I'm home most days so I have been known to scrape the burn pot couple times a day while running..
can't hurt..

I see the prediction of 3 to five inches of white stuff in "The bluegrass state" . Hope spring is on time when I come down first part of April. Love the dogwood and Tulip trees. Will need a warm break after this winter. -27 for tomorrow morning and the high of -17.

I see the prediction of 3 to five inches of white stuff in "The bluegrass state" . Hope spring is on time when I come down first part of April. Love the dogwood and Tulip trees. Will need a warm break after this winter. -27 for tomorrow morning and the high of -17.
Well, you are welcome here, but keep the cold stuff at your place... :)

Last edited:
same here..
home most days so 2-3 scrapings a day...
think I got ya'll beat... I must give it a quick scrape 5x a day....[actually, it's because I always push ash buildup into the ash pan when I see it so might as well give it a scrape
while the door is open.... any excuse.. right?

Status
Not open for further replies.