1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Carbon build up

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by novakm, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novakm

novakm New Member

Loc:
    western ma
    Does anyone know what factors affect carbon build up in the burn pot?

Big flame?
    Small flame?
    Hardwood?
    Softwood?
    Too much air?
    Not enough air?
    Fines?
    Etc.

I normally only clean and scrape on Satrday morning, usually with very little build up, but sometimes I need to scrape every other day. Once the carbon builds up to a certain level, the feed auger starts to squeal, si O know it needs scraping. It woud be nice to know what makes the difference between 1x/week and 1x/day. Harman accentra

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. toastyinri

toastyinri Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I usually scrap any carbon build up once a day....just before I refill the hopper with pellets. I do it with a flame burning...seems easier to chip off while its hot . It only takes a few seconds to do. I leave chips in the pot and they burn up....just like charcoal. Moisture content in the pellets might also be a factor, salt or whatever else is added to pellets for binding (?) but I'm just guessing at that.

I only have a very thin layer to scrape by doing it daily. If I let it go, as I have in the past, for a couple of days....then I'm knocking off chunks with a hammer and chisel. I usually have a bit more carbon on the left side of the pot.

I burn Fireside Premium in a Harman Advance which gives me a bit more buildup than Penningtons. The Firesides burn hotter.
  3. lpgreg

lpgreg Member

Loc:
    central mi.
    The brand of pellets will effect it. Using Maeder bros. pellets and Penningtons I chip carbon every 2-3 days. I am now using Stove Chow and have not had any carbon to speak of after 25 bags (25+ days). But the Stove Chow does cake in the burn grate after 8-12 hours and needs to be cleaned twice daily, a 1 minute job.
  4. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I've used 4 different brands this season and I get no carbon build up whatsoever.
  5. petejung

petejung New Member

I seem to get the same carbon buildup with the two brands of pellets I've been able to find in Cincinnati : Somerset & Pennington.
  6. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Burning on low seems to cause mine to build more carbon than anything else. It also soots the glass faster. I think that carbon is generally a sign of to little air.
  7. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Yeah....my glass around the outer edge seems to get more dirtier quicker on low.
  8. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    I give the burnpot a good scrape each morning so I have not had any
    problems as of yet with the carbon buildup.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.