Q&A Carbon Monoxide detectors goes off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

The carbon Monoxide on the second floor will go off most times when its windy outside and when I use my 7 year old Consolidated Dutchwest Federal Convection Heater stove, model # FA264 (2183) that's inserted into a fireplace. I had a professional woodstove/fireplace person come over to determine the cause of the carbon monoxide problem. He recommended to install a 6" stainless steel liner into the 12" flue. He stated this will improve the draft since it's on an outside wall. Well the 6" liner and insulation was installed into the 12" flue and the carbon monoxide went off again on a windy (20 - 40 mph) day. Prior to going off smoke would escape out from the doors of the stove. All gaskets were replaced. Help!!

Answer:

It is unusual for a CO detector to go off with a woodstove...because there would be a LOT of smoke first. This is unlike coal, where the CO is "pure" and not usually mixed with smoke and other compounds.

Assuming we removed other possibilities like a gas furnace that is back drafting, the best solution would be a vacu-stak cap that will install on the top of your 6" chimney. This will usually eliminate wind related downdrafts.

Link: Vacustack Chimney Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.