1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Q&A Carbon monoxide from open wood stove

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    QandA New Member Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2012
    Messages:
    0
    Question:

    I am interested in installing a conventional woodstove. Will there be any significant danger of carbon monoxide accumulation and subsequent poisoning when operating the stove with an open wood-loading door (to enjoy the open fire) ? Is it -apart from the better efficiency- IMPERATIVE to leave the door closed?



    Answer:

    The danger of Co poisoning from a wood stove or fireplace is minimum because the CO in almost all cases would be "flavored" with smoke and other compounds. In other words, smoke would probably burn your eyes long before CO cut off your oxygen supply.

    As far as the door opened or closed, this depends on the model. If the stove manufacturer claims in their literature and manual that this is a permitted use, then you can surely open it and enjoy the fire. Most stoves that permit this use have a spark screen included or as an option.

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page