Q&A Carbon monoxide sensor on gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently purchased a resale home with a gas log. I have no experience with gas logs. This log has a carbon monoxide sensor which beeps at me. The instructions on the cover indicate that I need a new sensor module. The company name on the exterior of the module is Costar. It is a Carbon Monoxide Safety Shutoff. The back says to "Contact your vendor for a new Battery Sensor Module Part Number 945-0002-02 or 945-0003-02 (w/ Velcro)". I do not know who the vendor was nor can I find out. I went to the only two gas log stores in Virginia Beach and no one could help me. I tried a hardware store who had more gas logs than the specialty stores and they could not help me. Said this type of safety shutoff was manufactured for only a couple years and did not know where I could get one. My gas log will not work without this unit. I cannot bypass it. It is now getting cold and I would like to use my fireplace. Can you please help me locate the manufacturer, the part, or something to make my fireplace work?

Answer:

The only logs of this type that I am familiar with were made by Timberline and Vermont Castings. There were a lot of problems with these units, so the CO detector was removed. Perhaps your contractor could do the same. If not, you can attempt to find a Vermont Castings dealer or look at their web page at http://www.majesticproducts.com

Link: Majestic Products Web Site

Link: Vermont Castings Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.