Carburetor trouble on a B&S;

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
My Carburetor is leaking gas and won't start any more. I pulled the air filter off and I think a screw has fallen out because
there a hole right under were the choke is. The operating instruction that came with it are not very detailed. Tring to find a manual is hard because there a so models. I'm going to the local shop and show them where the hole is. Hopefully they can help me.

johnsopi said:
My Carburetor is leaking gas and won't start any more. I pulled the air filter off and I think a screw has fallen out because
there a hole right under were the choke is. The operating instruction that came with it are not very detailed. Tring to find a manual is hard because there a so models. I'm going to the local shop and show them where the hole is. Hopefully they can help me.

How long has it been sitting without being run? And how old is the gas?
Sounds like the float is stuck&/or possible the pin or orifices clogged or gummed up.
The hole your describing might be the overflow runoff. If the float is stuck, this would make sense of the fuel running out the hole.
Sounds like it needs top be taken apart and cleaned out. Get yoursel a can of spray brake cleaner, works great for his stuff.

It was running at the time it stopped. When it stopped it sounded like it was running out of gas,
so I filled it tried to restart. At that point when a clould of gas vapors puffed out.Gas has dripped out of there before,
but now leaks out a lot. The hole being overflow makes snce. I was grasping at straws since I don't know much
about caruretors. I do know I need a new air filter mine a worn out mass.

Well Hog you were right, spray out the float bowl, replaced the filter, it started right up. The hole turned out to be screw a hole for the air filter.

One more thing. the model,type and code numbers have rub away complately from the side of the engine. Is there any place
else to find it?

Once again thank you for the help.

Paul

johnsopi said:
Well Hog you were right, spray out the float bowl, replaced the filter, it started right up. The hole turned out to be screw a hole for the air filter.

One more thing. the model,type and code numbers have rub away complately from the side of the engine. Is there any place
else to find it?

Once again thank you for the help.

Paul

I know on small engines it is tough, but you should try never to run a machine including cars, trucks etc out of fuel. You then suck any dirt in the bottom of the tank into the carb. Which I would almost bet is the problem you had.
And one of the first places in a carb it can clog is the pin & port on the float assy.

There should be an plate somewhere on the engine that contains the model, type and code or serial number. Some have the serial number stamped into the block somewhere.
Your best bet is call a Briggs dealer.
Here is a site I found that shows you where to look on some engine for the info: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/briggs_and_stratton_model_locator.cfm
Glad it was a quick fix for you. Keep in mind if the dirt is still in the float bowl, it may work its way back the to the needle & seat and clog it again.

Once you get it running again put about 2-4 oz (depending on tank size) of Sea Foam. I had a gummed up carb on my 8hp B&S;. after a tankful of gas with 4 oz of Sea Foam it starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull vs the 8th or 10th. Runs much smoother too.

Status
Not open for further replies.