Carpenter Ant and Termite Baits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy

Apr 5, 2007
Hi can someone share with me the success they've had in using baiting systems for Carpenter Ants and Termites.

When I split wood I find both Carpenter Ants and Termites in my wood so I would like to find out the best way to elimite these pests before they work their way into my home. I have sprays that kill on contact but I am looking for something more long term and ongoing, i.e., more preventive and consistent...

I would appreciate your help in sharing with me your ideas on what you do.

Also has anyone tried ADVANCE, they're baits (granules) for carpenter ants?

Thanks!

Termites nest underground, the ones in the wood are only workers, will die shortly after you split the wood, and are no threat to your house. They can't start a new colony. If they came from a colony in your yard, then there's a whole lot more where they came from anyway. If you want to protect your house against termites in general, have your perimeter (soil) treated with Termidor or something similar. It's supposed to last 10 years or more and claims to kill the whole colony. I did this, not because of firewood but because we had an infestation in the front (no firewood there).

Carpenter ants do nest in wood, but I don't know what they do after you bust up their nest. Unless you are splitting right by your house, and it has easily accessible wood, I don't think they are a threat either. I've been told they are harder to treat against because they stay above ground, but that they don't prefer dry lumber to nest in.

I think I would be more concerned with Powder Post Beetles which like good dry wood.
If you see a lot of little pin sized holes and fine wood powder on and in your firewood, thats them.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.