carpenter ants and pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbone

Jan 11, 2011
Buchanan, New York
anyone have a problem with carpenter ants and pellet stash?
I was going to put a couple of tons in my shed but I found some ants
thought maybe a problem

I spray my shed, house foundation etc 2 or 3 times a year to prevent carpenter ants and termites seeing as I am surrounded by woods. I buy the concentrate made by Ortho (or whatever is available) at local Home Depot, Lowes etc. Once you spray you shouldn't have a problem. They also sell granules to place on the ground to keep them away. Many years ago I had big problems with carpenters ants. Since I started spraying for ants as a preventative I haven't had any problems.

i've never heard of this being a problem. pellets are so dry that very few things want to hang out in them. Once they get wet, well , then its open season.

Delta-T said:
i've never heard of this being a problem. I am so dry that very few things want to hang out in me. Once I get wet, well , then its open season.

Yup, makes sense.

Ive never really heard any problems with that either. As long as the bags are sealed and there is no rips or tears in the packaging, the ants should leave it alone. Good observation Franks. Hey Delta.....you may wanna get that dry thing checked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.