CARPENTER ANTS & FIREWOOD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
I scored some free firewood :) As i split it I found a colony of carpenter ants :bug:
Is my other firewood & home safe? :-S

Did you kill the ants and get the queen? If so, sprinkle some borax around the pile and relax. It's probably fine.

I've come across a colony or two in Lodgepole Pine the same way. They mostly just scatter and disappear. Leave the wood exposed for a few days before you stack it. The colony should just die out. You may have an ant occasionally wander out from your woodpile, but just squish them and go about your business. They aren't going to recolonize in your stacked wood or in your house unless you have wood laying around exposed directly to wet soil...at least that's the way I understand them. Lots of information available through Google searches of carpenter ant. Rick

For years I've exposed thousands of carpenter ants while splitting wood but have never had any ants make it into the house. As the wood dries outdoors I think they seek greener pastures.

savageactor7 said:
For years I've exposed thousands of carpenter ants while splitting wood but have never had any ants make it into the house. As the wood dries outdoors I think they seek greener pastures.

Ditto

Maybe they could help you stack the wood if your nice to them. They can lift 20X there weight.

TGun9590 said:
Maybe they could help you stack the wood if your nice to them. They can lift 20X there weight.

Find enough of them, then, they could probably take your house down the road!!!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.