Cast Iron Coal Burning stove made in West Germany, Identification and value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

babcockscott1102

Dec 2, 2021
Kalkaska, Michigan
Can anybody help me identify this wood stove? As you can see it was made in West Germany, and is 63 lbs, 31” Tall x 18” Wide. Looking for approximate date, value, and if it’s worth restoring or leaving as it is.

4D5EDCF6-240A-4A95-ABFE-06F96882DC78.jpeg 4B678105-8D80-4F86-9648-52E92826B8F1.jpeg 0D736299-FFD0-424D-B0D2-62827A443FB3.jpeg

Coal stoves like this are still pretty common. Value will depend on the buyer. I would strip and repaint the blue parts with stove paint. Stove Bright metallic black is a good choice for cast iron. Estimated value $300-500 if all parts are in good shape and working condition.

Reactions: babcockscott1102
IMHO, unless there are casting marks dating it would be plus or minus 100 years without the West Germany logo. These were made everywhere there were foundries and coal. The West Germany casting does date it closer, West Germany was created post WW2 in the late 1940s and ceased to exist when East and West Germany were reunified in 1990. The casting is in English so it was made for export to get cash back into the country. My guess is it could have been made earlier in the period before the industrial base was re-established but the font used looks more modern.

IMHO, unless there are casting marks dating it would be plus or minus 100 years without the West Germany logo. These were made everywhere there were foundries and coal. The West Germany casting does date it closer, West Germany was created post WW2 in the late 1940s and ceased to exist when East and West Germany were reunified in 1990. The casting is in English so it was made for export to get cash back into the country. My guess is it could have been made earlier in the period before the industrial base was re-established but the font used looks more modern.
I did end up finding some serial numbers or part numbers. See attached picture

Nice plant pot