Cast iron surface rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrel

Sep 15, 2006
New Fairfield, CT
I was about to sell my Oslo when I noticed some brownish, what I think is surface rust in various places on the outside of the stove. Is there anyway to clean this without damaging the finish and needing to paint? It is really light at this point and wouldn't bother me if I were keeping the stove but it's not a good selling point. Thanks for your help.

Try a rag with a little wd40 etc if its really light rust. Otherwise next step would be a wire brush. Then a little touch up paint.

Reactions: GS7
Glad it worked. It will rust again in time, so it may be worth treating it further with a little stove paint. Doesnt have to be alot, just enough to seal that area.

Stove polish?

If its cast then a little Crisco on it if you can fire it up to get it hot. This work great, just like seasoning a cast iron pan.

If its cast then a little Crisco on it if you can fire it up to get it hot. This work great, just like seasoning a cast iron pan.

I thought about this but wasnt sure since you can burn off old seasoning on a pan in a 500f oven. Was thinking it would just burn off on a wood stove, is a easy thing to try though.

I thought about this but wasnt sure since you can burn off old seasoning on a pan in a 500f oven. Was thinking it would just burn off on a wood stove, is a easy thing to try though.
I've done this many times, but you do have to do it every once in a while, just like a pan. It does make the stove look nice, especially right after you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.