Q&A Cast iron vs steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a chance to purchase a cast iron stove in seemingly excellent condition I have had however no experience with cast iron since I have only had steel stoves. I have been told that cast iron will easily warp or crack under high heat . I only burn birch which gives of a fair amount of heat. I would appreciate any advice you can give. the offer is only on the table for the next two days

Answer:

No, it will not easily crack or warp under high heat, and that is why your car engine block is most likely made from cast iron. Of course, the brand does make a difference. There are excellent cast iron stoves from companies like Jotul (http://jotulflame.com) ....but in the past there have been some poorly made cast stoves imported from taiwan.

Long story short...make sure the brand is well known and parts are available.

Link: Jotul Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.