Enviro Empress decorative iron door hinge broke & door knob is scratched & dented! Oh No!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
This wood pellet stove was widely sold due to it’s solid construction and decorative cast iron.
See review.
I would hate to junk this stove even though it can be used without the decorative front doors but that would just not look very pleasing!
Cast iron is the hardest material to weld. First we made a special jig to hold the hinge at the correct angle, Then used a heat thermometer gun and torch to preheat the iron to 400 degrees Then he Welded it. Then we had to cover it with insulation and bury it in sand to let it cook very slowly so it would not crack!
It came out amazing using a Mig welder with high heat setting?
Yesterday I replaced the scratched up door knob with a new cabinet knob from Home Depot! How does it look??

Pic 1 - 4 -- Broken Door Hinge
Pic 5 - Custom made jig to support hinge at correct angle to align with top hinge and stove door hinge
Pic 6 - After preheat to 400 Degs F and welding, door is covered with insulation and sand for slow cooling to prevent cracking.
Pic 7 - Hinge is welded, Due to it's small size there was no chamfering of broken edges but extra weld added for support strength
Pic 8 - 10 -- Welded hinge looks good. Area where pull knob was removed had paint removed for better grounding of Mig welder
Pic 11 - 12 -- Stove Bright Satin Black spray paint for touch up used by the manufacturer for exact match
Pic 13 - Dented and scratched pull knob
Pic 14 - 15 -- All done!

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge01.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge02.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge03.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge04.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge05.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge07.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge08.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge09.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge10.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge11.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge12.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge13.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge14.jpg

EnviroEmpressBrokenIronDoorHinge15.jpg

Last edited:
Don- good to see you put the old girl back in operation. The Empress FPI was one of my favorite stoves (as you can see it is still my avatar.. Keep warm.

Don- good to see you put the old girl back in operation. The Empress FPI was one of my favorite stoves (as you can see it is still my avatar.. Keep warm.
Thanks for your comments.
I will be replacing a few more parts but this will be the easy part. Yes they are good stoves and many still in operation. :)

Reactions: VTPellet
The new igniter, auger motor and high limit switch I put in and still no pellet feed! After upgrading to the new control panel, It works!

E783866E-5C60-4EA9-B976-9B7E30DD5AE0.jpeg

994FB498-7522-43DB-BAF6-E7AFC92BE0A8.jpeg

E85D8385-3175-4645-A1EB-11E9D0FDB78A.jpeg

The new igniter, auger motor and high limit switch I put in and still no pellet feed! After upgrading to the new control panel, It works!
Thanks for all the detail on this project. I really like our Empress and have replaced the ignitor (not fun with the top screw) and auger motor.

Is there a situation with the Empress where you'd replace it with a new stove, or as long as parts are available can it go "forever"?

Also, do you repair these for other people?

Thanks for all the detail on this project. I really like our Empress and have replaced the ignitor (not fun with the top screw) and auger motor.

Is there a situation with the Empress where you'd replace it with a new stove, or as long as parts are available can it go "forever"?

Also, do you repair these for other people?
Hello VT
These stoves do last a very long time and all the parts are readily available. We do have parts for them, you can PC me for more info,
I also found Enviro sells an updated fire door for the older stoves. I replaced one that was warped and the glass broke. The new door came with the glass and is much better. :)

Reactions: Washed-Up