Castile exhaust always on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggmiii74

Oct 5, 2016
Illinois
Hello everyone, new to the forum and a new pellet stove user. I picked up this Castile stove today, a friend bought the home and didn't want the stove. I'm a long time wood stove vet but have never had a pellet stove. Upon getting it in the garage, as soon as it's plugged in the exhaust blower is on. The auger works, and the heating element under the pot works. Even if the thermostat is turned down to where there is no heat call, the exhaust blower is on steady. I stripped the stove down and cleaned it thoroughly, it was caked with ash. The exhaust blower still stays on steady. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks in advance

Hello everyone, new to the forum and a new pellet stove user. I picked up this Castile stove today, a friend bought the home and didn't want the stove. I'm a long time wood stove vet but have never had a pellet stove. Upon getting it in the garage, as soon as it's plugged in the exhaust blower is on. The auger works, and the heating element under the pot works. Even if the thermostat is turned down to where there is no heat call, the exhaust blower is on steady. I stripped the stove down and cleaned it thoroughly, it was caked with ash. The exhaust blower still stays on steady. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks in advance

Normal for fan to come on. Does the control box flash blue a few times?

Give it a few minutes and it will turn off.

Even if you don't have it calling for heat. Power goes out or you plug in first time it will turn fan on.

If it's not turning off then there is something wrong. Try and bypass it check snap disk etc.

Reactions: kappel15
Don't know if this will help
From manual ( available on line )

Starting Your First Fire 1. A thermostat is required for proper operation of this appliance, except for corn. At this time, fill the hopper with pellets, set the thermostat to its lowest setting. Plug the power cord into nearby outlet. 2. The exhaust blower will stay on for approximately 18 minutes even though the thermostat is not calling for heat. This is normal. 3. Locate the heat output control switch on the lower right side of the firebox behind decorative front door. Set to the HIGH setting and then adjust the thermostat to its highest setting. The red call light will be on which is located on the top of the junction box behind the right access panel.
This indicates the thermostat is calling for heat. Figure 27.1. 4. The fuel feed system and the igniter should now be on. 5. For your first fi re it will be necessary to press the reset button once per minute until pellets start to drop into the fi repot, then press button 1 more time. This will fill the feed system and allow the appliance to begin dropping pellets. The appliance will continue to run as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. 6. Once the appliance has ignited, let it burn for approximately 15 minutes, then set the thermostat to the desired room temperature. Adjust the heat output control switch to the desired setting

As people have said, when power is applied, exh blower comes on whether thermostat is calling for heat or not. It'll run 15-20 mins and shut off. If it doesn't shut off, problem. Prob the control board. But its normal for the exhaust blower to run after powering up, power off reset and after tstat has been satisfied. It runs to expel all heat from the burnpot area during shutdown.

Reactions: kappel15
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I plugged it in when I got home, and came back out to the garage a half hour later and it was off, so basically everyone was right. Thanks for the quick responses, wanting to get this thing kicking this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.