Castile insert hopper extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting around to posting this.
I picked up my Quadrafire Castile insert for $100 on eBay back in March. Poorly installed, no cap on the chimney. water went down the chimney during Sandy, got into hopper and pellets swelled up, then hardened up. When they tried to run it, the auger seized.
I sandblasted rusty spots, reprinted with hi temp paint, replaced the auger, disassembled blowers, replaced gaskets and got it running.

Before install I checked clearance and decided I had enough room in my fireplace to extend the hopper. Being a shop teacher I have access to a brake and spot welder. I made a template from cardboard and a glue gun.

The extension pieces are 3" high, I probably could have gone higher but that takes the hopper right to the bottom of the sheet metal surround.

It increases the capacity by 1/2 a bag for a total of 1-1/2 bags.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: xSpecBx
Status
Not open for further replies.