Castile Pellet Insert - blower trouble??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Master of Smoke said:
GotzTheHotz said:
I've seen ash pan door seals come up many times, but I guess I don't understand how a leaking one would affect the stove? Being that the burn pot is drawing air through the holes, does it matter where said air comes from (i.e. oak, room air through the pan enclosure vents, leaks around ash pan door seal, this is not a sealed system)? I always thought the seal was more for safety reasons and not operational? Just curious, someone educate me please!

Actually, I agree with you about ash door gasket's role.

I could just as easily omitted it from above...but thought someone might chime in and say it should matter too.

I'm on you side...for the same reasons!

I agree too but in this case, the Castile and Sante Fe don't even have ashpan gaskets!!! They leak air in from everywhere which makes an OAK just about useless. :eek:)

tjnamtiw said:
Master of Smoke said:
GotzTheHotz said:
I've seen ash pan door seals come up many times, but I guess I don't understand how a leaking one would affect the stove? Being that the burn pot is drawing air through the holes, does it matter where said air comes from (i.e. oak, room air through the pan enclosure vents, leaks around ash pan door seal, this is not a sealed system)? I always thought the seal was more for safety reasons and not operational? Just curious, someone educate me please!

Actually, I agree with you about ash door gasket's role.

I could just as easily omitted it from above...but thought someone might chime in and say it should matter too.

I'm on you side...for the same reasons!

I agree too but in this case, the Castile and Sante Fe don't even have ashpan gaskets!!! The leak air in from everywhere which makes an OAK just about useless. :eek:)

The Castile has a piece that is provided in their outside air kit that gets latched under the burn pot area and the OAK tubing gets attached to that. This a part that must be ordered from QuadraFire.

A lot of stoves have funny little gotchas in their air intake areas. The older the stove the more likely it is to find things like that.

The ash drawer on the Castile has a gasket according to page 41 of the manual it is: Gasket (Rope) 1/4 inch, 10 ft. for Ash Drawer part number 834-1460 .

Well that is interesting, Smokey! My Castile doesn't have that gasket and I don't see it on page 41. My stove's from 2007 so maybe that's an upgrade. Have to look into it the next time I visit my dealer. Also the extra piece for the OAK. Mine just shows the flat piece of steel with a 'nipple' on to which the hose is attached. Nothing under the burn pot although a shroud around it would sure make it a lot more positive airflow from the outside. Hmmmmm. Might have to do some 'tin knocking' and mig welding.

Good info, Thanks!

Yeah, I downloaded the manual after the comments about the switch, and went looking after some other things that were mentioned in other threads. I just hope that Jason has his stove running on all cylinders now.

Seems that everything is subject to interesting tweaks and retrofits. I have three on my dragon.

As I noted in a PM to GotzTheHotz I tend to be quite sensitive to heating system safety and that my take on gaskets, is that what is on either side of gaskets doesn't belong on the other side.

SmokeyTheBear said:
what is on either side of gaskets doesn't belong on the other side.

That's a very good philosophy to 'LIVE' by!

Status
Not open for further replies.