castille pellet stove heat gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikilb1

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2010
northern va
We rent a house that has a castille pellet stove insert. The gasketing was bad so i went to a local stove for the replacement gasket. They gave me the tadpole gasket and said that was all i should need. When the gasketing came off there was the tadpole gasket on the 2 sides and bottom and just a sticky gasket on the top outside. we figured it wouldnt hurt to just put the tadpole gasket along all 4 sides. since changing the gasket i've noticed the glass has gotten really really dirty within a day....should the top not have the tadpole gasketing on it???

One of the sides, either top or bottom depending on your stove, is purposely left open for what is called an 'air wash'. This is basically an air gap to draw air from the outside of the stove to 'wash' the glass (actually it is a clear ceramic) to help keep it clean. You need to remove the gasket from the top, your stove will not function well with gasket on all sides. In other words, replace the gasket as it was and only where it was, that should work better!

nik,tell us more about your set up, venting, type of pellets, etc. We'll get you burning, that is what we do here. We like pictures too, so post some of your set up!

Status
Not open for further replies.