Englander pellet stove. Burns down to coals then relights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vicscott

Nov 11, 2023
BC Canada
I am at my wits end so Joined this forum in hopes someone has some info I can use. . I bought a three year old englander cab 80 for my Yurt art studio. It starts, seems to burn well for awhile then burns down to coals and takes a while to start up again from the coals. We have changed the burn pot gasket and the exhaust gasket, door and window gasket. There is no service person in our valley so I am on my own here trying to figure it out. I called Englander tech service to see if the bottom three buttons were right. I changed them but not much different.. I noticed that it dumps a lot of pellets at startup. almost too many. Fire gets really big at first.then at some point a few minutes later only a few pellets come out until there is no flame then it dumps a bunch more and starts again.

I'm not familiar with that particular model of Englander but from some experience with other models: do you have a t-stat hooked up? If not, is the jumper firmly on place? It sounds like it thinks the demand for heat is satisfied and is only feeding "just enough" to keep the fire going.

Eric

Reactions: ARC
No thermostat . It seems like that is what might be happening except it is not feeding enough to keep the fire going . for several minutes it is just embers. then it decides to give it more pellets for a few minutes. the fire starts again and then it dies down to embers again. I will check the jumper cable today.

Took augers out . They are clean no obstructions The top one set screw was on the round not the flat so fixed that. everything else looks ok. started it up. No change still doing the same thing dying down and relighting . Not heating the space very quickly. tried to send a video I took with my iphone but won't accept it.

Did you do a thorough cleaning before you installed it? Thorough as in the annual cleaning described on the manual. It's kind of sketchy on details and there are different approaches, i.e Leaf Blower etc.

I'm not familiar with that particular model of Englander but from some experience with other models: do you have a t-stat hooked up? If not, is the jumper firmly on place? It sounds like it thinks the demand for heat is satisfied and is only feeding "just enough" to keep the fire going.

Eric
you were so right Eric! I contacted the guy who fixed the control board when the igniter did't work and asked about the jumper as we could not figure out where that would be. He felt so bad because he realized he took it out when diagnosing the problem and forgot to put it back. Stove is now running great. Thank you so much.