1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Castine F400--Wall Penetration Q.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Robere210, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Robere210

Robere210 New Member

I'm building my (single story) house in S.W. Missouri and have a gently used, but older Jotul Castine F400. It's the one with the double front door. I'll also have a propane furnace, but hope to cut the propane bill a lot with the wood stove. I won't have the house finished this year, but I need to know how do I penetrate the wall for the stovepipe. I built the ext. walls with 2X6 studs. There will be an exterior chimney (also not built yet). I'm assuming there is some sort of special type of pipe for this--but what's it called? I'll be installing this myself and have done a lot of building over the years, so what's the absolute BEST, SAFEST way to penetrate the wall with the stovepipe?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. flusher17

flusher17 Member

Loc:
    ADKs, Northern NY
    I went straight back out of the stove and through an exterior wall with my Jotul stove. You get a thimble kit from the chimney pipe manufacturer you choose. I used Excel and have been extremely pleased. It is a simple process to install and all the trim pieces are included to make it look good, too.
  3. colin.p

colin.p Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ottawa Canada
  4. Robere210

Robere210 New Member

Thanks. That does help.