Castine manual on Hearth reg's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
The following reply words the hearth pad reg's but how do you figure it with the heatshield section i posted a few replies down the page?

The manual says-

THE JØTUL F 400 REQUIRES ONE OF THE FOLLOWING THREE FORMS OF
HEARTH PROTECTION:
1. ANY UL, UL¢ OR FIH LISTED HEARTH BOARD. (NO BOTTOM HEAT SHIELD
REQUIRED).
2. ANY NONCOMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL THAT HAS A MINIMUM
R- VALUE OF 2.0. (NO BOTTOM HEAT SHIELD REQUIRED.)
3. ANY NONCOMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL WITH THE USE OF THE STOVE’S
BOTTOM HEAT SHIELD.

This means that if you use the materials in option 1 or 2, you don't need the bottom heat shield. These are specific requirements for the non combustible material. If you use a bottom heat shield, you can use any non combustible material.

Right but did you read section 7.6? BOTTOM HEATSHIELDS

Bottom of the page in the Manual.Page 7 section 6.(( Just don't understand what does not effect means. ))

7.6 bOTTOM HEAT sHIELD (# 154384)
tHE BOTTOM HEAT SHIELD SUPPLIED WITH YOUR STOVE HAS BEEN
SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR THE JøTUL F 400 . iT IS REQUIRED IN ALL ALCOVE
INSTALLATIONS. USE OF THE BOTTOM HEAT SHIELD DOES NOT AFFECT THE
FLOOR PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS DESCRIBED ON PAGE 6 OF THIS MANUAL

Page 6 being the post about the hearth listed above.

Guessing that what they may be trying to say in section 7.6 is that any install in an alcove requires the bottom heat shield . . . regardless of whether you have a UL listed hearth board or even a non combustible material with a R value of 2.0.

If you do not have an alcove install you can go with either listed floor protection or the non-combustible material with a R value of 2.0.

I'd call Jotul USA and hear it from the horses mouth. If their voicemail system says to refer to your local dealer, tell them you are the local dealer.
(207) 797-5912

Called Rocky's after Jotul's tech support gave me their answering machine. It applies to measurement of hearth.Had to ask, didn't want things backfiring once built. Once again thanks Ole Knowledgable 1's.Rocky's stove Shoppe knew right off the bat.Answered instantly didn't have to look it up.Nice! Also if someone does install this hearth for the Castine, the manual lists the pad as 42"x44".The actual measurements are 42"x46" for the new 18" clearance for the front of the stove for the loading door.The old measurement was for the old clearance of 16".Not dissing Jotul, just didn't want to wait.(( The 18" is for Maine reg's not for the actual stove)). I stand corrected.

Bub381 said:
Called Rocky's after Jotul's tech support gave me their answering machine. It applies to measurement of hearth.Had to ask, didn't want things backfiring once built. Once again thanks Ole Knowledgable 1's.Rocky's stove Shoppe knew right off the bat.Answered instantly didn't have to look it up.Nice! Also if someone does install this hearth for the Castine, the manual lists the pad as 42"x44".The actual measurements are 42"x46" for the new 18" clearance for the front of the stove for the loading door.The old measurement was for the old clearance of 16".Not dissing Jotul, just didn't want to wait.

who told you it changed to 18"?

To be truthful i can't remember but i found it while building my hearth.

It’s like operating at wide open throttle so far as combustion air’s concerned. If you have a gentle fire going, it’s not going to “hurt†anything. I certainly wouldn’t leave the stove unattended with the door open…I’ve had embers pop out well beyond the required 18†front clearance to combustibles during reloading. You’ll figger it out as you become familiar with your insert. Enjoy, and be careful…that’s a for-real fire in there. Rick

Signature
Lopi Liberty w/blower in the house, Century Hearth FW240007 in the workshop
2 1/2 acres of Juniper, Sagebrush, and Basalt…nice view, though
Bunch of other junk

i was just asking because the 16" is still the correct distance for the hearth i have checked with jotul for you the 18" is for canada not the usa, just in case you where still building the hearth pad.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove#protection

Different stoves have different requirements, but all woodstoves need to have a non-combustible base underneath. This base should extend a minimum of 8 inches around all sides of the stove and 18 inches in front of any loading doors. In addition, the stove board should extend underneath and horizontal run of the stovepipe connection to the chimney.

correct
but your previous staement said that jotul had changed the from 16" to 18" for the f400 castine is not correct the stove only needs 16"

no problem just trying to help!!!!

Hey if i'm wrong i wanna be told, i thank ya for the reply and straightening that out.If someone finds different please tell me but i'm safe with a hearth of 55" sq.Has anyone else heard of Maine changing the distance in front of the ash door or is it USA? Thanks again Stoveguy.

Status
Not open for further replies.