Castle serenity with Horizontal exhaust and spark problem.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bobby d

Mar 14, 2015
Washington state
greetings all!

It's been awhile from my last post but I purchased my castle serenity last year and I've been nothing but happy with it! But now here is my current problem. The last week has been extremely cold and windy and I've never had to go higher than the second setting. When ever I go on a higher setting I start to get sparks flying out my exhaust, I know this is normal when you have horizontal venting but I get a good amount of sparks flying out and also landing on the ground and staying lit for awhile. is this something that adjusting the damper would help with? Also is there any good recommendations for spark arrestors? I've also debated running up about 3 or 4 feet and then vent out.

Thanks for your import guys!

not unheard of on some installs/stoves,which is why there is a required non flammable area under outlet.Lots of those stoves out there,you will get some reply's from other owners.I did see the old serenity manual "recommended" at least 3' vertical,now the new manual "requires" it.Are not really any spark arrestors for pellet stoves,that I know of,would probably create more problems.Others will chime in.

Reactions: rich2500
Put a bucket of water under the vent to catch the sparks.

What is your exhaust blower setting for heat number 2?
In the control panel you can set the blower settings for both the room blower and the exhaust blower. Look what setting it says for #2 heat. Lower it to the same as #1 if you have no sparks on #1, and see how it goes.
You'll likely have sparks when you hit shut down, but you should get the sparking under control when running.
Running vertical a few feet can help, but may not be a for sure cure especially if the "sparks" are a big enough piece of pellet to stay lit on the ground for a while. You are pulling pellet bits out of the burn pot before they are completely burned. Check the exhaust blower setting and adjust it if you can, and get back to us please.

Reactions: rich2500
Thanks for the response everyone!
What is your exhaust blower setting for heat number 2?
In the control panel you can set the blower settings for both the room blower and the exhaust blower. Look what setting it says for #2 heat. Lower it to the same as #1 if you have no sparks on #1, and see how it goes.
You'll likely have sparks when you hit shut down, but you should get the sparking under control when running.
Running vertical a few feet can help, but may not be a for sure cure especially if the "sparks" are a big enough piece of pellet to stay lit on the ground for a while. You are pulling pellet bits out of the burn pot before they are completely burned. Check the exhaust blower setting and adjust it if you can, and get back to us please.

What are your setting at? I've been gone all day and only had a little bit of time to play around with the settings. Thanks again.

Thanks for the response everyone!

What are your setting at? I've been gone all day and only had a little bit of time to play around with the settings. Thanks again.

My north stove settings.
north_1.jpg

Though both the north and south stoves are identical, the south one has a better blower or something as it does not require quite the voltage that the north one does to get the same results.
South stove settings.
DSC02586.jpg

Thanks! So another question. How close do you have to have to exhaust voltage to the blower voltage? Do they have to be the same or can it be 5v or 10v higher or lower? I would assume you would want it to be the same but im new to this.

Thanks! So another question. How close do you have to have to exhaust voltage to the blower voltage? Do they have to be the same or can it be 5v or 10v higher or lower? I would assume you would want it to be the same but im new to this.

You can have them completely at the opposite extremes if you like. The exhaust blower and room blower are completely separate and have really nothing to do with each other. Set the exhaust voltage to get the right burn. Set the room blower voltage to get enough heat away from the stove that you do not over temp the stove and it will shut down. So the room blower is to get heat away from the stove and out into the house. The exhaust blower is to get burn air into the fire so you can get maximum efficiency out of the pellets.
If you run on low heat and your stove is running somewhat cool, but just right for what you want, but you run the room blower up on high, you may risk moving so much air in the house that you feel cold, almost drafty. So get the fire where you want it, and let the stove run an hour or so, then fiddle with the room blower to just get enough heat away from the stove that it does not get too hot standing right next to it, or have the surrounding walls and furniture get too hot. It is equipped with a shut down feature if it gets too hot at the stove. If this happens, up the room blower 5 or 10 and get some more heat away from it.