CAT Not Activating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Matrixman1414

Oct 23, 2023
Pennsylvania
Just had my first insert installed and my CAT isn't going into the active zone. Can someone please help me troubleshoot this? My thermometer is on high but logs seem to stop burning (at least flame goes out) once my loading door is closed.

I'm on day 3 of having the stove and the longest burn I've gotten is like 3 hours.

Need a few tips and I'm sure I'll have it figured out.

Thank you in advance!

Just had my first insert installed and my CAT isn't going into the active zone. Can someone please help me troubleshoot this? My thermometer is on high but logs seem to stop burning (at least flame goes out) once my loading door is closed.

I'm on day 3 of having the stove and the longest burn I've gotten is like 3 hours.

Need a few tips and I'm sure I'll have it figured out.

Thank you in advance!
What kind of insert is it? How long is the stove pipe + chimney?

Is the cat engaged or bypassed when the fire starts?

What is the air intake set to?

Replies in red. Thanks!

20 ft chimney Ashford 25 blaze King
bypassed when I start and then I just wait for the CAT gauge to become active and it never does. It usually sits right on the line between active and inactive.
What is the air intake set to? Air intake is the thermometer/knob that we set ourselves correct? I have it on high.

Replies in red. Thanks!

bypassed when I start and then I just wait for the CAT gauge to become active and it never does. It usually sits right on the line between active and inactive.
What is the air intake set to? Air intake is the thermometer/knob that we set ourselves correct? I have it on high.
If it's that close to active just close the bypass it will climb fast

Also what moisture content is your wood at and hom full are you loading it

Replies in red. Thanks!

Nice insert.

I asked about the bypass because there was one time I did a cold start and had the fire go almost out each time I started to close the door. Turned out I had left the cat engaged instead of bypassed.

Right: the air intake control is a.k.a. the thermostat knob.

Do you have an outside air kit? Is there any restriction on the stove's main air intake?

Have you checked the stove pipe and chimney to make sure that it can draw? No blockages?

Do you have any other way to check temps? The behavior of the cat gauge sounds suspicious.

Do you have a moisture meter? What is the moisture content of the wood?

Have you been through the operating procedures in the manual?

There are others on this site who are far more experienced than I am with modern stoves. If they post anything, listen to them first. Some of them have BK Ashfords.

I believe that the cat readiness indicator on the Ashford and Sirocco inserts is a different beast from the thermometer indicators on the BK Freestanding stoves. I think it just moves up to the active/inactive line when it is active, but it is far to the left when the cat is inactive. That’s my recollection from reading on here before, and I found this old thread where BKVP makes a statement about far to the left for inactive.

I think if you’re right on the line, you’re active and need to close the bypass. I don’t know how that may change things with your burn, but the stove is meant to be operated with the bypass closed when it’s up to temperature.

Do you know the moisture content of your wood?

If it's that close to active just close the bypass it will climb fast

These new model inserts have an electric idiot light setup for the cat meter. It's on or off. I suspect that since the needle has moved at all that it's as high as it's going to get and time to close the bypass.

Only getting three hours eh? Would love to see what the loaded stove looks like as I suspect just a few twigs are being loaded. You can pack these things full to the roof.

Could be wet wood too. Any sizzling? black glass? Have you checked the moisture level of the wood? There was a rumor that all new BKs were being sold with a moisture meter for just this reason.

I got it figured out and now it is working great! Thank you everyone for the help.

The issue was I didn't load the stove full enough to get hot enough.

Pretty easy and common mistake in the early parts of the season when you only want a little heat.