cat question??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yamgrizz700

Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2009
new hampshire
Why does sometimes the cat glow bright red and other times barely glows and sometimes only a portion of it glows?? am i not getting the stove hot enough before i engage?

I believe it is just in the wood that is burning and at what stage. Many times our cat does not glow red but all one has to do is watch that thermometer go up and you know it is working.

Have you also noticed that sometimes the cat is red and at other times it is really glowing bright red? I think it has to do with both the amount of smoke and the temperature.

All in all, I've learned to simply not worry a whole lot about the cat. However, if you think there might be a problem it is a very quick and simple task to take out out, brush it off and look it over. No cracks; beautiful. A few cracks; no worries. Stuff falling out; time, or almost time for a new cat.

Robert, if this is your first time for cleaning the cat, you will first need to remove 2 shipping bolts that hold the cat in place. You do not have to replace those bolts or you can replace if you want. If you do replace them, I'd simply just barely get the bolt started in the threads and stop. There is no need to tighten them.

Before removing the cat, look on the side away from you (you are standing right in front of the stove). You will notice on the back side of the cat a line, or a bit of a teat. That is on one side of the cat only and it goes away from you when you put the cat back in.

When I clean the cat, I don't wait for the stove to cool way down (oh forgive me for typing this...). After the coals get burned down a bit, then I bypass the cat, open the lid and while wearing welding gloves, simply lift the cat out and close the lid. I then take the cat out on the porch, give it a quick brushing on both sides then come back in. At that point I might remove some of the fly ash where the cat sits or I might not; depends on how much there is. Then just sit the cat in place (make sure it is in right and sitting exactly in the same spot (look where the gasket is), close the door and fire up the stove again.

This all will take me 2-3 minutes. Quick and easy.

Franks said:
How old is the cat?
The cat is only a few months old this is the first season with this stove.

It could just be different spots in the cat having different volumes of smoke passing thru at any given time. Back when cat stoves first came out, if I ever had a doubt if one was fired off properly, I would go look at the chimney If I saw NO smoke, I was satisfied. What temp are you at before you engage that catalyst?

Dennis,
I have cleaned it once about maybe 2 to 3 weeks ago and i didnt notice it had to go back a special way. i did put it back the same way it came out thought.( i hope i have it in right) i will check later when it cools off.
Right now i just loaded about maybe 4 hours ago and the stove top temp is around 475 and a very slight glow out of the left corner of the cat. when i let it go with the bypass disengaged and i get the fire really going, then i can get the cat glowing but only for about 15 minutes to half hour then it goes down to that same corner and glowing just a little. did i burn the cat out? is that possible to do in such a short time period?
Thanks robert

Franks said:
It could just be different spots in the cat having different volumes of smoke passing thru at any given time. Back when cat stoves first came out, if I ever had a doubt if one was fired off properly, I would go look at the chimney If I saw NO smoke, I was satisfied. What temp are you at before you engage that catalyst?
I do go outside and check and no smoke comes out so i am assuming things are working like they are suppose to, I engage the cat around 300 because i don't have dry wood but its not green either its supposed to be "seasoned" but i have quickly learned the differences. so get it a little hotter than what Woodstock says to, to prevent any moisture getting to the cat.

I get the same thing, at times the whole cat glows and other times just partial. Where is your set when you engage? I think it all depends on how big the load, how hot the fire is and where your air is set. The cat will start to glow once it reaches 1000 degrees and that is usually at the beginning of the burn, after that the majority of the burn there is no glow or just a part of it. I use to worry about it too, but now I hardly ever look at the cat, I just watch the temps.

Todd said:
I get the same thing, at times the whole cat glows and other times just partial. Where is your set when you engage? I think it all depends on how big the load, how hot the fire is and where your air is set. The cat will start to glow once it reaches 1000 degrees and that is usually at the beginning of the burn, after that the majority of the burn there is no glow or just a part of it. I use to worry about it too, but now I hardly ever look at the cat, I just watch the temps.
Since the wood is "seasoned" i engage at 1.5 and then wait about 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour then go to 1 and let it sit there for about a hour and see where i am at sometimes i go to 1.5 or i will go to a little lower than one, it really depends on the weather outside and how well the wood is burning.
Like right now i have it at about 1 and the cat is glowing all over faint but glowing and the stove top is about 500, bright coals and no flames. so i am assuming every thing is good.

Franks said:
Probably. Do you see smoke coming out of the chimney?
no smoke just the reflection of heat coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.