Cat Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Read1t48

Jan 15, 2016
Oregon
I am not sure how it happened, but I have a crack on one of the sections of my cat combustor. Everything is intact… In other words it is just a small chunk but it fits into place perfectly, with no pieces missing, to where you cannot see the crack when everything is put back together. Is there a particular type of adhesive or something I could use or is it not necessary to fix as long as it is tight with no gaps?

For reference, this is a Travis industries cat combustor. At this point they are not covering it under warranty but it is less than a year old. In full candor, I removed the cat to thoroughly clean it after the fire season and that is when I noticed a crack.

Thanks for the feedback

I am not sure how it happened, but I have a crack on one of the sections of my cat combustor. Everything is intact… In other words it is just a small chunk but it fits into place perfectly, with no pieces missing, to where you cannot see the crack when everything is put back together. Is there a particular type of adhesive or something I could use or is it not necessary to fix as long as it is tight with no gaps?

As long as the combustor is held firmly and is not out of place, a crack won't affect performance. Use it until you notice performance fall off significantly.

Reactions: Highbeam
If it stays put, forget about it and run like normal. I suspect a new Travis cat is not cheap.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is much appreciated. I think I will put a new gasket in and continue to use it. I know Cat is about 400 bucks.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is much appreciated. I think I will put a new gasket in and continue to use it. I know Cat is about 400 bucks.

Your cat is 400.. i see them on amazon. Mine was like 120 bucks... what makes yours so different..

. . .For reference, this is a Travis industries cat combustor. At this point they are not covering it under warranty but it is less than a year old. . .
As long as the combustor is held firmly and is not out of place, a crack won't affect performance. Use it until you notice performance fall off significantly.
. . .and
then ask Travis to replace it.:)

Last I heard, EPA requires manufacturers to warranty the catalyst in a new stove 100% for at least 3 years. After 3 years, coverage varies by manufacturer.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/do-cat-elements-normally-crack-at-all.111732/#post-1484064

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650

For reference, this is a Travis industries cat combustor. At this point they are not covering it under warranty but it is less than a year old. In full candor, I removed the cat to thoroughly clean it after the fire season and that is when I noticed a crack.

Thanks for the feedback
I have small crack and some deformities after 4 years of full time burning in CT in my FPX Large Hybrid as well. It's OK as long as it still glows and holding together. How old is you stove and what is your burning habits? You can add a name of the stove in your signature. So people is not going to ask every time. By the way , it is a great forum. i've learned a lot here.

Thanks for the feedback
Why won't Travis replace the cat? Unless they can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt you've abused it, they have to replace it... as far as I know, if you want one then they must warrant it. I'm guessing it's an FPX 36 Elite?

We stand behind anything we sell for an entire year. No matter what happens! Maybe you've got a dealer issue, not an issue with Travis Ind? Although, they are very bad about owning up to any issues.

We stand behind anything we sell for an entire year. No matter what happens! Maybe you've got a dealer issue, not an issue with Travis Ind? Although, they are very bad about owning up to any issues.
Scary thought after Ponting up 5500. Love the look of the unit but dont like the idea even with a great dealer it may not get resolved favorably. Been reading the BK thread. People seem happy. I do like the large 3.0 Firefox of the FPX though. Wish there was a dedicated thread for the FPX hybrid

Scary thought after Ponting up 5500. Love the look of the unit but dont like the idea even with a great dealer it may not get resolved favorably. Been reading the BK thread. People seem happy. I do like the large 3.0 Firefox of the FPX though. Wish there was a dedicated thread for the FPX hybrid
Well, there’s an obvious reason there’s no FPX thread...
Pretty much most folks are happy, unless there’s a problem. Then they are on their own unless the dealer steps up and takes care of the issue, Travis sure ain’t gonna do it!

Reactions: Leiper
Don’t let the size of the box sway you. The shape of the firebox makes it not fully usable. The BK can be loaded either E/W or N/S, and will burn about 2x longer on the same amount of wood.

Webby3650 --

You know your stuff! And your comments are accurate. I have been please, overall, particularly with my dealer but less so with Travis industries. Although the cat was cracked, they were not willing to replace it. They said it must have been my fault. Right?
I also had a warped plate above the baffle. This was a concern that I had before I purchase the stove because of some reviews on this site. It was definitely warped and the dealer said it was not normal and agreed to replace it. Travis industries replace the part but I still had to pay for labor. There was a learning curve but I am operating the stove well now and it is heating a 3500+ square-foot house.

The glass and cat are staying clean. I presume this is because I am using wood that is more dry than the previous year. This is the most important factor, in my opinion. Dry wood is the key to a good fire. I know this is true with any fireplace but it is especially true with a cat stove.

Webby3650 --

You know your stuff! And your comments are accurate. I have been please, overall, particularly with my dealer but less so with Travis industries. Although the cat was cracked, they were not willing to replace it. They said it must have been my fault. Right?
I also had a warped plate above the baffle. This was a concern that I had before I purchase the stove because of some reviews on this site. It was definitely warped and the dealer said it was not normal and agreed to replace it. Travis industries replace the part but I still had to pay for labor. There was a learning curve but I am operating the stove well now and it is heating a 3500+ square-foot house.

The glass and cat are staying clean. I presume this is because I am using wood that is more dry than the previous year. This is the most important factor, in my opinion. Dry wood is the key to a good fire. I know this is true with any fireplace but it is especially true with a cat stove.
Thanks
I can’t believe the dealer charged labor to repair a stove that was defective? Assuming it happened in the first year or so anyway.

Cat stoves get a bad wrap for only burning perfectly seasoned wood. All stoves require seasoned wood, cat stoves are no different. Although, I’ve found my BKs to been much more tolerant of under seasoned wood than most non-cats I’ve had.

Reactions: Highbeam