cat to noncat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bull

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2008
south east ky
ok guys need some schooling on the newwer stoves . my dad is getting up in years and it is hard for him to cut split and keep his wood supply up. he is the hard headed and and tightwade type. and i think im headed that dirrection.a freind of his comes down and buys wood from him told him to get a better stove and he wouldnt have too work hiself to death cutting and splitting . so he has ask me for infomation from those who has the newwer stoves .how much differance will we see . i may even change out my stoves if there are going to be advantages. we both burn 24/7 and we both use alot of wood. i have a large house with 2 stoves an insert and free standing 2500 sqft. his house is med . 1700sqft 1 stove thanks for all who help.

Although we don't have 2500 sq ft to heat, we installed a Woodstock Fireview in 2007 and since that time we have used only half the amount of wood we used to use and we stay a whole lot warmer. I suspect we would have seen a reduction in the amount of wood needed with some of the other stoves which are on the market but we are extremely satisfied with our Fireview.

Just remember that with the newer stoves, properly seasoned firewood is a must. If course all stoves, including the older stoves will work so much better with dry wood than with green or only partially seasoned wood. What I am saying is that using the proper fuel makes any stove work so much better I just do not understand why anyone would burn only partially seasoned wood year after year.

But going back to your father, if he could heat with even just 2/3 of what he is using now that would be worth a lot. My wife and I are both drawing SS so we appreciate the lesser amount of work but even more we appreciate being able to stay warm all winter.

For dad maybe take a look at the Avalon or Lopi line of stoves? I am thinking of the Avalon Olympic or the Lopi Liberty. They are simple and tough with a firebrick baffle for low maintenance. The Pacific Energy Summit might also work for him. It uses an enclosed, stainless baffle.

I switched from an Olympic to a Blaze King and cut my wood use in 1/2 in shoulder season and by at least 1/3 over the course of the entire winter. If you burn 24/7 and want to save wood, look into a big cat stove.

Patapsco Mike said:
I switched from an Olympic to a Blaze King and cut my wood use in 1/2 in shoulder season and by at least 1/3 over the course of the entire winter. If you burn 24/7 and want to save wood, look into a big cat stove.

Mike, what part of town are you in.

I'm near the main st bridge in Ellicott City. I spend a few days fishing the river each week during the summer.

Lennox seems to make a pretty good unit.. non cat w/ a nice brick baffle (I think the mkt it as country stoves?).. sounds like you guys need big, new steel stoves.. I would, however, go non Cat, and the learning curve will be much less, and it'll have a better burn if your wood gets questionable.. with just about any newer system, however, you'll see 1/4 less wood usage at least.

got any pics. of the insides like to see them

You didn't mention some important information. What types of stoves do you each have currently, and how much wood are you currently using? How well insulated are the homes? With a well insulated 2500 sq foot home in your state, a modern efficient stove should not require more than 4 cords of mixed hardwood even with 24/7 burning all winter. Many years it should be closer to 3 cords (mixed hardwoods).

mine are fisher mama and a honey bear insert. dont get me wrong they are great stoves . just was wondering if there are better stoves that will burn less wood and get better efficientcy . more for my dad than me but if it works i will convert. he has an ashley wood furnace. his eats the wood for his smaller house . my house is a little drafty older 39 yr home . more to do with the windows . do a little every yr to clog the up the cracks . with the cost of energy going up got to do what we can. thanks for any advice.

Patapsco Mike said:
I a few miles upriver, on Daniels Rd a short walk from the dam.

I spend a fair amount of time up that way. Some nice smallmouth holes. Usually put the boat in at woodstock and float down to daniels in the spring.

Good to know there are some locals on here.

AN Englander 30 or Summers Heat 50, Same maker, same stove, would prolly fit the bill nicely. And it is easy on the wallet.

Hogwildz said:
AN Englander 30 or Summers Heat 50, Same maker, same stove, would prolly fit the bill nicely. And it is easy on the wallet.

I agree. Give the 30 a try with your Dad. People are already reporting that these are starting to go on clearance at some Lowe's, the next several weeks is the time to buy, clearance + 30% tax credit, and you could potentially get a great, efficient, new stove with a very big firebox, for around $400 (best case?).

Hi had an old safire stove made in ogden Utah went through about 5 cords a year here in utah. Went with the Blaze King about three years ago now burn about 2 to 2.5 cords a year depending on how hot wife wants it in the house. I live in a split level log home that is 2450 sq ft. If I knew I was going to use lots less and still stay plenty warm would have bought long time ago, and have to say that is on that nasty old pine nobody likes but it is the best we have round here.

After the first year of having my Blaze King my dad had to have one he got the princess and threw out his schreader (spelling) and loves his new stove. He has also cut hes wood use in half if not more. His house was built in 1971 and is roughly 1600 Sq ft. Hope this info will help in your decision making let us know what you decide. As for me I would HIGHLY recommend the BLAZE KING!!

I must be below average than my log home is different it as 9-10" logs avg. 26 R-rating acording to local log mill then all exterer walls are studded and insulated bring walls to a 37 R-rating, Attic R-52, crall space R-27, half of house the outer is 4' below ground level hope this helps to clarify things Really dont burn much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.