Catalyst Glow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
http://www.firecatcombustors.blogspot.com/

I found something kind a interesting to me anyways, and wanted to share with other cat stove burners since the whole cat glowing thingy comes up ever so often. Apparently if your firewood is very dry, it may burn clean enough that the cat won't glow. The wood I'm burning now is very dry and the cat doesn't always glow, but still no smoke and a hot stove, so I guess it makes sense. I always thought the opposite would happen since the dry wood would burn hotter? Anyways, lots of good info on this blog.

Oh yeah, you can also find a picture of Brother Bart feeding his stove.

Good info Todd. This could answer all the operational cat questions ever asked. As far as Uncle BBs photo goes, its like the #99 and know one else should use it. I do think BB got his avatar from there as he has a secret love for cats and this is probably his favorite wood burning technology. He just hasnt come out of the closet yet. %-P

Ha Ha, I knew there was something funny looking about that guy. :lol:

Good post Todd.

Nice info on cats Todd, thanks for posting!

I was hoping there would be some info on the newer SS cats, but given that they are into ceramics, I guess I shouldn't be surprised they didn't mention them.

Got a question on his "Installing a Catalytic Woodstove" post

DO insulate your existing masonry chimney, especially if it's located on an outside wall.

Why? Because insulation helps create a proper draft and prevents icing, which can block your chimney.

DO insulate the space between the existing masonry chimney and the flue, but do not use loose pack insulation.

Why? Because loose packed insulation can enter the flue and block the flue gases.

Can someone explain his reasoning on the loose pack insulation. I use kaowool for my soft block off plate and I see only benefits to doing that.

Is he referring to not using it for people that do not do a full liner but a liner to the first tile?

mellow said:
Got a question on his "Installing a Catalytic Woodstove" post

DO insulate your existing masonry chimney, especially if it's located on an outside wall.

Why? Because insulation helps create a proper draft and prevents icing, which can block your chimney.

DO insulate the space between the existing masonry chimney and the flue, but do not use loose pack insulation.

Why? Because loose packed insulation can enter the flue and block the flue gases.

Can someone explain his reasoning on the loose pack insulation. I use kaowool for my soft block off plate and I see only benefits to doing that.

Is he referring to not using it for people that do not do a full liner but a liner to the first tile?

He's probably talking about a direct connect to 1st flue tile could possibly get clogged if insulation is just packed up in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.