catalyst probe- how close to the cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billz

Oct 9, 2008
Fountain Inn SC
my high valley stove does not have a cat probe. I would like to add one. how close to the cat does it need to be?
would it work if it was 2 inches away. between the cat ad the opening for the flue pipe. or does the probe need to be right on the cat?

2. whats it like to have a cat probe? do you see the temp rise quickly after the cat lights off? and what temps are you seeing?

thanks

waz said:
my high valley stove does not have a cat probe. I would like to add one. how close to the cat does it need to be?
would it work if it was 2 inches away. between the cat ad the opening for the flue pipe. or does the probe need to be right on the cat?

2. whats it like to have a cat probe? do you see the temp rise quickly after the cat lights off? and what temps are you seeing?

thanks

I think on my old CDW it was about 1/2" away and you will see temps ranging from 0-2100 but you don't want to see much more than 1350 or ideally 1200 or so.. Once it settles down it ran between 800 and 1000.. Temps from 1700 on up are a bad thing but you should not see that unless you're really cranking the air..

Ray

I asked this question to a couple cat manufactures and they told me no closer than 1/4" away but and inch away which is what I have is acceptable. Once you get further away your just reading flue gas temps. Also found out that frequent temps over 1600 will degrade the life span of the cat so I try and keep it under that. So far it seems pretty hard for me to go over 1500 and she likes to cruise around 1200 with a full load on a lower range burn.

Looks like the cat thermometer is an option on your stove, so it's probably already got a hole for one in the proper place. Only pictures I've seen of the stove are small, but it looks like they might be showing one right above the door. Maybe you have a removable plug that is hiding the hole.

pgmr said:
Looks like the cat thermometer is an option on your stove, so it's probably already got a hole for one in the proper place. Only pictures I've seen of the stove are small, but it looks like they might be showing one right above the door. Maybe you have a removable plug that is hiding the hole.

you are right. there are two plugs above the door, one on each side of the bypass handle. I thought they were carriage bolts but they are plugs.
its hard to see in this pic (2500 model)

http://highvalleystoves.com/fireplaceinserts.php

One for each cat, maybe? I'd only use one thermometer and maybe switch it back and forth every couple months to make sure both cats are working. I also wouldn't pay $$$ for a probe from the mfg. You'll have to find out how long the probe needs to be for your stove, but you can find them much cheaper elsewhere. Try http://www.condar.com/cat_meters_woodstoves.html

Status
Not open for further replies.