Catalytic flame show

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr

Feeling the Heat
Jan 14, 2006
Central Indiana
Added these pictures on another post and thought some might like to see that a cat stove is certainly capable of producing a nice viewing fire. Cat was engaged, both primary vents fully open, doghouse/shotgun center vent closed. Except for super cold days and daily few minutes of high firing, I'll probably never burn this way, but it sure is pretty and produces a prodigious amount of heat.

Yes, there is only around 12" of non-combustible tile for a hearth. Still pondering if I really want to cut up the floor for a row or two of tiles. It is MUCH better than it was originally - it used to have a WOOD topped hearth, complete with some nice deep burn marks! Some of that wood is now my mantel.

Clicking on a picture should download the original sized image to a new tab or window.

IMGP3627.JPG

IMGP3633.JPG

Edit: Added per request. Didn't realize support pipe was so rusty - sure doesn't look that way in normal light.

IMGP3639.JPG

IMGP3641.JPG

Joey said:
Very nice. What size is that firebox???? Its looks huge......

It's listed as 2.6 ft ³ . Funny you should say it looks big...the old pre-epa Alpiner I swapped out was MUCH larger. I've been thinking this thing looks small! ;-)

Looks great! I have no complaints with my catalytic flame show and I think some of those burn tube stoves have an unnatural fire look kinda like a gas grill.

Thanks for the posting Kent. Keep us up to date on how the stove works under various conditions. I haven't seen or burned in Bucks, but respect them. They seem like a stout, no-nonsense stoves. And that's what I like to see in a fireburner.

Looking good. Have I said it before? Steel stoves rule!

pgmr,

That sure looks nice! As far as any further hearth protection, I'm kind of in the same boat (having a raised hearth). You don't have to protect the floor from heat so I "think" all you would have to do is ember protection aka one row of tile. The muses here can chime in if different........

Shari

pgmr said:
Yes, there is only around 12" of non-combustible tile for a hearth. Still pondering if I really want to cut up the floor for a row or two of tiles.

For floor protection, my wife did not want to cut up the floor. So I made an ember protection panel that sits on top of the floor. It is 3/4" plywood with 18 x 18" ceramic tile, see pic below.

Also, your light show looks great. On my old cat stove, I could not keep the glass clear so that was my one disappointment. My new non-cat stove provides some great light shows.

Attachments

• Hearth floor protection.jpg
    Hearth floor protection.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 954
  • olso secondary burn.jpg
    olso secondary burn.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 919
Green Energy said:
For floor protection, my wife did not want to cut up the floor. So I made an ember protection panel that sits on top of the floor. It is 3/4" plywood with 18 x 18" ceramic tile, see pic below.

I did buy a black "stove board" for ember protection, but it's really ugly and is not in use right now, just the rug. Thought about a solution like yours, but the main walkway through that area is right in front of the fireplace. I don't want to create a tripping or toe stubbing hazard.

Lanning said:
Kent,
That Buck stove looks really great, Much better than if you put a BKPI in that corner fireplace.

Thanks! I was finally able to see some pictures of an uninstalled BKPI (thanks, Weatherguy) and realized it wouldn't be a good looking install without some kind of surround.

The Buck has double wall construction on 5 sides, so it really doesn't throw much heat from sides or back. Highest temp I've measured on sides is ~ 160°F.

Edit: Have seen temps up to ~210°F when burning hotter.

pgmr said:
Green Energy said:

I did buy a black "stove board" for ember protection, but it's really ugly and is not in use right now, just the rug. Thought about a solution like yours, but the main walkway through that area is right in front of the fireplace. I don't want to create tripping or toe stubbing hazard.

Yeah, the drawback to the tile-on-plywood ember protection is that it has about an 1" lip above the floor. This is a tripping hazard if it is in a traffic area. For my set up, the stove is at the end of the family room, so it in not in a traffic area and it helps to define the clearance area, i.e., keeps chairs from getting too close. But I have stubbed my toe once.

Status
Not open for further replies.