Catalytic stove options ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason763

Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
I know everyone gets tired of the " which stove should I buy ". I'm looking for my first stove and have decided on which non-cat I'm interested in. I've been reading a lot of the posts and it sounds like a catalytic stove would better suit my needs. I've mainly seen Blaze King and Woodstock on here. Question is what other quality catalytic stoves are available? I live in Wisconsin, the closest blaze king dealer is 1.5 hrs away . I'm not really comfortable with ordering a stove, Woodstock , without physically seeing it.

Question is what other quality catalytic stoves are available?

None that are worth buying. WS and BK are head and shoulders above all others so far that it isn't even funny. I'd love to see other brands get into the game but it seems that non-cats are profitable enough for them and trying to steal sales from BK or WS would be extremely difficult.

Reactions: Jason763
I'll agree BK and WS are the premium cat brands, but there are others that make reliable cat stoves:

Buck
Appalachian
High Sierra
Kuma Sequoia

Buck has a pretty loyal following.

Well, cats and hybrids, there is Buck, Regency, High Valley, Appalachian, High Sierra, Lopi VC (and Dutchwest) and Kuma, but a Buck and the Dutchwest are the only ones I've seen other than the straight-cat Woodstocks. I bought my Keystone sight unseen, but my SIL had picked up a used Fireview so I had a pretty good idea what to expect. Probably the majority you are not gonna be able to see. You have 1100 sq.ft. correct? Masonry fireplace or through-the-roof?

Most of the Woodstock stoves you hear about are hybrids. That means they have secondary burn and a cat. Hybrids offer long burn times but also the intense output of a non cat when called upon. Woodstock does make pure cat models too like the Fireview.

There are other hybrids like Regency with their "eco boost".

Kuma Sequoia.

Honestly, if you want a pure cat stove that goes 30-40 hours Blaze King might be your best option. Just keep an eye on btu output numbers. These stoves are steady heaters but do not put out high btus like a large non cat.

Well, cats and hybrids, there is Buck, Regency, High Valley, Appalachian, High Sierra, Lopi VC (and Dutchwest) and Kuma, but a Buck and the Dutchwest are the only ones I've seen other than the straight-cat Woodstocks. I bought my Keystone sight unseen, but my SIL had picked up a used Fireview so I had a pretty good idea what to expect. Probably the majority you are not gonna be able to see. You have 1100 sq.ft. correct? Masonry fireplace or through-the-roof?
I do have 1100 square feet, two story , 9ft ceilings, 5/8" drywall and well insulated . The flu will be through the roof

1100 per story, or total?

Where about in Wisconsin are you,I'm in Waupaca.

The low burn capability of a BK could be ideal in a space that small. You'd be one who could take advantage of those super long burn times, at low heat output. The BK Ashford 30.1 in the newer wing of my house is heating a space of similar size to your house, and I maintain 73 - 76F on 24 hour burn cycles, with that stove.

The BK site is misleading on max heat output. You can fit 450,000 BTU's in the box, and release them much quicker than the 10 hours listed as their "HHV". With fans blowing and stove at WOT, I wouldn't be surprised if you could rip those 450,000 BTU's in 4 hours, at 80% eff.

Ok, My dealer is too far I wouldn't hesitate using them if that was the one you were speaking of.

. . . I'm not really comfortable with ordering a stove, Woodstock , without physically seeing it.

If you're looking at a cat stove I think either choice would serve you well.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other, but if you contact Woodstock they may be able to put you in contact with folks near you that have purchased Woodstocks. More than one member here has ended up seeing their first Woodstock stove in person by seeing one in operation at a "neighbor's" house.

Status
Not open for further replies.