Catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trentdog

Dec 29, 2017
Ringwood
Hello,I was wondering how exactly to properly work the cat.It says to close the flue when the stove reaches a certain degree an closing to early could ruin the cat.If I close the flue all the way before bed the temp in the fire pls e drops an wouldn't the effect the cat to from working properly.I was wondering if anyone could help out with the proper use of the stove Hampton i400 thank you

Does your stove have a cat temp probe? I usually close the flue when cat temp reaches 400. I can see the temp keeps rising when flue is closed and then know the cat is engaged and good to go to bed. If the temp starts falling after closing the flue, then you just didn’t have it hot enough to engage the flue yet. I struggled with this my first season with unseasoned wet wood.

I'm not familiar with your specific wood stove but I can tell you that I normally engage the cat at around 350 to 400 degrees. Also, you want to disengage the cat before reloading your stove. Not disengaging the cat will allow room temperature air to enter the cat which can harm it.

Thank you ebery
Hello,I was wondering how exactly to properly work the cat.It says to close the flue when the stove reaches a certain degree an closing to early could ruin the cat.If I close the flue all the way before bed the temp in the fire pls e drops an wouldn't the effect the cat to from working properly.I was wondering if anyone could help out with the proper use of the stove Hampton i400 thank you
O

Thank you everone for all the help, if my fire box goes below 400 degrees overnight an the cat is closed ,is that bad for the cat.

Thank you everone for all the help, if my fire box goes below 400 degrees overnight an the cat is closed ,is that bad for the cat.
No problem when the firebox drops below 400F overnight. This is a normal cooling process. The only thing that is bad for the cat is opening up the stove door when the cat is engaged and at working temperature.

Basically you do not want to thermal shock your cat. Close the bypass with a raging inferno when the cat is cold, or open the door and let cold room temp air into when its hot. Other then that your good.