Cawley 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbenn

Jan 16, 2024
MA, USA
I have what I believe to be an old Cawley 500 that previously was used in my dad's house, but has been in storage for some time. We are trying to empty this storage and I am trying to figure out what I can do with this stove. It appears to have all the parts, but having been in storage, could use some restoration. I've looked up as much as I can find, and have asked at a couple places near here (Western MA, USA) with mostly dismissive responses, but am wondering if anyone here might know a little more. Is this something that someone might still find worth using? Or what do people usually do with old wood stoves? I'm a little out of my element here :)

It's a lovely stove, but I can't currently use it, at least as a stove, and don't really have space for it but it just seems too nice to junk. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I have what I believe to be an old Cawley 500 that previously was used in my dad's house, but has been in storage for some time. We are trying to empty this storage and I am trying to figure out what I can do with this stove. It appears to have all the parts, but having been in storage, could use some restoration. I've looked up as much as I can find, and have asked at a couple places near here (Western MA, USA) with mostly dismissive responses, but am wondering if anyone here might know a little more. Is this something that someone might still find worth using? Or what do people usually do with old wood stoves? I'm a little out of my element here :)

It's a lovely stove, but I can't currently use it, at least as a stove, and don't really have space for it but it just seems too nice to junk. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I don't know about 500s but 400s and 600s sell for a decent amount. I sold my 600 about 10 years ago for $800 or so. But it had lots of new parts as well

The 500s line are kinda a pain to rebuild for small stoves, and they dont have really any parts made for them still.

It can be done though as long as nothing is found to be cracked during breakdown.

I restore more Cawleys than anyone in the country, and Im a few hours north of you. I would not have been dismissive to you. Haha. But I know all the guys near you as well, and cawleys are just not their style or what they like to work on.