cawley 800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knockbill

Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
se pa
hi,
i'm a new group member,,i just got a cawley 800 stove to replace my little selkirk/metalbestos that i've used for years,,, it seems cawley was a pretty well built stove, however, i can't find much info about it, other than history of the company, and size specs,, does anyone have any info on this stove?? any help will be appreciated,, i want to rebuild the floor protector to cawley specs,and am installing it in from of the fireplace hearth..........
thanks in advance,
john

Welcome John. There is a little wiki article on the company. Craig may have more info. Looks like a very nice little stove. Your's sounds like a bigger model. Keep us posted with the restoration and please post some pictures as it moves along.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Cawley_400/

Woodmans has some parts for the stove:
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/168824/products/CL800BB-Back-Baffle.html

I'm not sure if the ignition grid could be adapted from another Cawley model, best to call them about this.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/168821/products/CL400IG-Ignition-Grid.html

thanks for the fast reply,, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be too much info on this stove... i've seen/read the links you sent me,,, i'm hoping someone has a manual they will be willing to copy......
so far, i've removed the mantle and its wood trim from around the fireplace opening, replacing the side trim with brick, tied in to the original fireplace brick, and raised the mantle about a foot, to keep it out of harms way,,, the cawley will sit in about the same location as the old stove, but i built a floor protector with 2 layers of cement board, on a thick piece of sheet metal, with a welded angle iron trim around the perimeter... it is 64"w x 40" deep,, that will leave more than the minimum clearance around the stove....i'll probably put tile or some other "finishing" top over the cement board,,, i'm also going to install a sheet metal heat shield under teh stove, similar to some of the vc models, this cawley has 6+" legs so this will be a little more floor protection.....
i'm contemplating a chimney liner, however, i have a masonary chimney, that i keep clean thru out the heating season, that has worked fine for many years...if i decide to line it, it will be with 8" rigid ss, to the top,, and try to pour insulation around it,,,
i've been reading up on some of the previous posts,, lots of info...
tahnks
john

if you do line the chimney, consider using 6". It's what the majority of stoves use today so you will be more future proof if the Cawley doesn't work out.

Note: This is not Craig, just the webwidow on his computer. I believe the Cawely 800 takes an 8" flue, has double doors and has a large firebox. Not so sure if I would reduce the stack to a 6 for this unit. Beautiful stove..one of my all time favs... enjoy. WW

tahnks for the reply,,, the cawley needs 8",, so i will probably install teh cawley with the pipe entering the flue tiles, and use teh masonary chimney as i have been,,, if it doesn't work out,, i will look at my options then,,, my 1st choice in stoves was a defiant (1612 i believe),, however , it uses an 8" pipe. its a little too tall for my fireplace.........
Thanks
john

Status
Not open for further replies.