CDW Sequoia Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pineydell

Sep 17, 2009
Rural Montana
We have a CDW Sequoia (Model 455), 1988-89 version, that we have used all winter long as a primary heat source since it was installed new. It has never been on legs, but sits flat on a hearth, as it has since the day it was installed. We have no one locally who can inspect it for us to look for damage from broken welds. How and where should I look outside of the firebox. With the top removed and the catalytic converter visible the top welds were cracked and have been resealed, but how about the bottom? The inside of the firebox looks okay, but it has had increased problems in the past couple of years maintaining long burn times, suggesting a leak. Gaskets have been replaced and are in good shape.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Sounds like time for a rebuild

The Sequoia is a hoss but that stove is ready for retirement. You don't still drive a 1989 car do ya? Or even have a working 1989 washing machine probably. As a former Forum member used to say "That stove doesn't owe you anything.". Time for a new one.

i gotta agree w/ BB here... that thing is a gas guzzling 87 chevy w/ a 350 in her... get a new one.. the repair bills (and sorry lack of parts/logistical support) is gonna getcha... go new, preferably plate steel w/ firebrick.. get a nice tax credit...

Thanks to all for the comments. They are helpful in confirming my inclinations. Next question, realizing it is loaded and like asking which is better, a Ford or a Chevy, but why metal versus stone? Soapstone seems to be preferential for even heat over time, even if it is slow to warm in the first place. I ask this in the context of burning primarily softwoods, since hardwood is hard to come by in Montana.

Opinions?

Thanks again.

As long as it's a well built stove, sizing the stove correctly for the house and location is more important than it's materials. Steel will heat up quicker and radiate faster, soapstone and cast iron will heat up slower and release the heat after the fire has died down. And there are hybrids that do both.

How large a space are you heating? A cat stove with pine is a good combination. For a new stove replacement that has a converter maybe look at a Blaze King insert?

http://www.blazeking.com/wood-inserts.html

We are heating ~1400 sq. ft. single story ranch style, well insulated home, but effectively ~1200 sq. ft., excluding bedrooms. Blaze King will not work, since the stove has to sit on a raised hearth and must have a rear flue vent to access the fireplace chimney. Changing it to sit off the hearth takes up too much floor space and raises too many other problems. Thus, rear exit flue, under 25 inches high. We are willing to trade quick heat for more consistent warming, if that helps.

So far, the Woodstock Fireview seems to be the best option, but other suggestions appreciated.

"I am still learning."
Michelangelo (87 years of age)

First off I want to congratlate you on keeping that hoss alive for 20 years.If what you say and the interior castings look good a rebuild is not a bad choise.There are parts still around. if you like your stove and you can rebuild it for a fair price Sometimes it is worth it . Your stove is a EPA stove and has proven to be a good perfomer. Think about it that stove has the same technolgy of stoves that are built today. In its day it was a top ranked stove and in my opion still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.