1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

CEABBE Pellets....new here in Northern Maine...WOW..

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bigruckus, Nov 30, 2012.

1. bigruckus

bigruckus Member

Loc:
    Northern Maine, Millinocket
    Bought a couple of bags of Crabbe all softwood pellets...anyone else have used these,,,I swear by these...very low ash...great heat and they smell great. Sold in Canadian metric ton here,at $315.00...I think it is a 70 bag load. These are the lightest pellets in color I have ever seen.. My Thelin loves them...not much soot at all on the glass ( this has always been an issue with the Thelin)..and no jams!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    Have not used them. Where did you get them? Picture of the bag?
  3. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Interested in these as well. At an equivalent of $225/ton (IF it is in fact a 70 bag pallet?) would be a great alternative.
  4. movemaine

movemaine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I know Rocky's carries them, as I called last week to see what they had in stock.
  5. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    How much was Rocky's charging?
  6. movemaine

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it was lower than the LaCrete's (which I think were $299), so I think the Crabbe's were $289 or $279. I'd call them to be sure.
  7. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    $269.
  8. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    But is that $269 for 70 bags or 50 bags per ton?
  9. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Short ton. 50 bags.
  10. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    Just picked up three bags of these today to give a try. Got them at Rocky's in Augusta for $5 and change, they are as reported $269 a ton. I will report back after trying them.
  11. Dollabill

Dollabill New Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    Tried two bags last nite pretty impressed !
  12. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    Were did you get them and how much for the bag and ton?
  13. movemaine

Loc:
    Central Maine
    The Crabbe's I bought at Rocky's had heavy black ash like a hardwood. They didn't burn like any of the other softwoods I burn (Okies, LaCrete's, etc.).

I may try another few bags, but I don't like the heavy black ash - it tends to build up and block the lip of my Harman's burn pot. Other softwoods, with light fluffy ash, tend to perform better. Otherwise, I have to keep opening my stove to remove the ash from the lip.

And yeah - i said I like my ash light & fluffy when it's on my lip...
    fmsm likes this.
  14. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    How do they compare to the MWP softies?
  15. movemaine

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I think the MWP softies burn cleaner. As for heat output, I'm not sure. I'll have to test over the next few days when it's cold (I still have 2-3 bags - but if it's really cold, I'm putting the Okies back in)
  16. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    I just finished burning three bags. Nice pellet IMHO. First very nice thick bag, which is important as I have to move them to into my basement and I always see to rip a few bags. The fines were very low and the pellets smell kind of like the Oakies but not as strong. As far as ash, I would agree with movemaine it is heavier and black, but the amount of ash is very low and much less than the MWP softies. As far as heat output, I would rat them as good, not as good as say Cubex or the other higher costing pellets but their good and in my opinion slightly better than the MWP softies. I would buy them again depending on what else is on sale in the spring. Overall I would give them a 3.75 or 4 out of 5.

Found this old thread on them which give more information about the pellet mill looks like they started up in 2010. http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-plant-this-year-for-eastern-canada-crabbes.55519/