Cedar post woodrack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
I can get a good size pile of old cedar fence posts and rails, still in solid shape. Free

Planning to build the wood storage racks out of them. Will be storing 4 or 5 cords at at time, 16 inch length splits

Couple of questions.

Would you build several racks that would hold a face cord or two, or two big full cord racks?
I'm guessing several 8 ft L x 32 in W x 4 ft H will be better for seasoning than one 8 x 4 x 4 ft

Anyone ever use cedar rails? Pix, plans or suggestions appreciated.

I guess if you have the space, the long thin racks would season a little better and provide easier access to all the wood so you can cherry pick by size, species, etc - depending on the needed burning conditions at the time.

With my luck stacking I go with the... 'several racks that would hold a face cord or two'... And even then I'd separate 'em to avoid a cascade failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.