cedar saves the day............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pict

Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2007
oklahoma
It's raining ice here in OK-low of about 24 tonight, and it's freezing outside.
I cut up two cedar trees, which were already dead due to fire last year, into nice size splits and I've been burning them over the last 24 hrs-do a great job of heating the house, saving the oak logs for later into the deep freeze.
I have to say that cedar splits are great for burning.

Now that I know they're good fuel, I can thin out the many cedars on the land, allowing the oaks to grow, and still have wood for burning for years to come!

The cedars are dead-long live the cedars............

I get scondaries faster from cedar than any wood I've burned.

I was in Anacortes, WA, last week. My son was burning cedar in his open fireplace from a tree blown down by a windstorm last year. He liked the way it sparked and cracked when it burned. It is a good thing he had a tile floor in front of his fireplace.

There is lots of free wood in my Midwest City, OK, neighborhood today; you could hear it crashing down all day long. I'll be burning some of it my Lopi Freedom insert I just installed last month in the next few years. My power is still on, but if it wasn't, the Lopi would still keep most of my 3700 sq. ft. house in the mid 60s.

ModMan said:
There is lots of free wood in my Midwest City, OK, neighborhood today; you could hear it crashing down all day long. I'll be burning some of it my Lopi Freedom insert I just installed last month in the next few years. My power is still on, but if it wasn't, the Lopi would still keep most of my 3700 sq. ft. house in the mid 60s.

3,700 sq. ft.? Hint, close nine doors. Including the ones to the bowling alley and the indoor pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.