Ceiling support box options - what's best to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

boomvan

Dec 26, 2019
Fairbanks, AK
Hi guys, I did a quick search and came up empty on this question. I'm a little new to this stuff.
I'm doing a new chimney install using 6" Duravent Duratech chimney, going through a simple flat ceiling and through a 6/12 pitch roof. Has R60 fiberglass insulation in ceiling. I haven't cut the hole yet and measured the depth of insulation...
What's the benefit of using a single 24" tall square ceiling support box vs a 2 piece combination of 6" attic insulation shield on top of a 6" flat ceiling support box?
Direct examples are the:
Duravent 6DT-CS24 24" tall ceiling support box 24" ceiling support box link
vs
Duravent 6DT-FCS 6" support box short support box link and Duravent 6DT-IS attic insulation shield shield link

Or do I need to be using both, the tall 24" support box in addition to the attic insulation shield?

Thanks
Tim

Hi guys, I did a quick search and came up empty on this question. I'm a little new to this stuff.
I'm doing a new chimney install using 6" Duravent Duratech chimney, going through a simple flat ceiling and through a 6/12 pitch roof. Has R60 fiberglass insulation in ceiling. I haven't cut the hole yet and measured the depth of insulation...
What's the benefit of using a single 24" tall square ceiling support box vs a 2 piece combination of 6" attic insulation shield on top of a 6" flat ceiling support box?
Direct examples are the:
Duravent 6DT-CS24 24" tall ceiling support box 24" ceiling support box link
vs
Duravent 6DT-FCS 6" support box short support box link and Duravent 6DT-IS attic insulation shield shield link

Or do I need to be using both, the tall 24" support box in addition to the attic insulation shield?

Thanks
Tim
You should have an insulation shield regardless unless the tall box will go all the way up to the roof and be covered by flashing

For r60 the 6" is too short?
The shield needs to be tall enough to prevent any insulation from touching the pipe.