Cement Board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ezras.papa

Sep 23, 2020
Hello, I'm having my wood stove installed pretty soon, I put some cement board on the wall behind (installer said the insurance company's like to see it). I don't need it to reduce clearances, but I really don't want to tile it, he told me a lot of people just float it with mortar so I could get it to match my walls somewhat there imperfect smooth texture. Anyone done this or have any thoughts?

Hello, I'm having my wood stove installed pretty soon, I put some cement board on the wall behind (installer said the insurance company's like to see it). I don't need it to reduce clearances, but I really don't want to tile it, he told me a lot of people just float it with mortar so I could get it to match my walls somewhat there imperfect smooth texture. Anyone done this or have any thoughts?

Did you apply the cement board to the sheetrock or remove the sheetrock to place the cement board right on the studs?

Over the sheetrock

Once you’re sure it’s not needed for clearances I would take it off and repair the screw holes with drywall mud. Sand and paint. Your installer is a putz. He wasted your time and money.

Reactions: Mech e