cemi insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mario

Nov 10, 2008
northeastern oh
I've recently inherited a Cemi concept II wood stove insert. Having no experience in operation and install requirements, I have a few questions.
1. The stove has a rectangular exhaust system consisting of a bank of holes on the back/top, modulated by a hinged plat. I was told that for optimal operation, an exhaust boot will fit over this, seal it and exit part way up my chimney. With this boot in place, I will not need to seal the front of the stove/fireplace opening, as the stove is slightly smaller than my fireplace opening. My first questions are, is that true; is that boot necessary or can I simply place the stove in the opening and let it exhaust through the existing opening.
2. Do I need to remove my dampener and install an insulated pipe within my chimney stack?
3. If I need an exhaust boot, can I find one or are they fabricated from sheet metal?

Any advice would be appreciated as I have split plenty of wood and am looking forward to a warm, toasty, and safe house.

Mario

hey,
dont know much about your stove, but

1. The stove has a rectangular exhaust system consisting of a bank of holes on the back/top, modulated by a hinged plat. I was told that for optimal operation, an exhaust boot will fit over this, seal it and exit part way up my chimney. With this boot in place, I will not need to seal the front of the stove/fireplace opening, as the stove is slightly smaller than my fireplace opening. My first questions are, is that true; is that boot necessary or can I simply place the stove in the opening and let it exhaust through the existing opening
-----I WOULD use a block off plate, between stove top and flue exit. I would close off fireplace surround. use durarock or something amybe

2. Do I need to remove my dampener and install an insulated pipe within my chimney stack?
--yes, you should install a full flex liner, insulated is up to you, chimney cover and nice hat on top.

3. If I need an exhaust boot, can I find one or are they fabricated from sheet metal?
-- hope some info in this link can lead you. .... or someone else comes along.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9721/

good luck.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like there is much more to it than I thought. I will read up but if anyone has more brand specific info, please keep it coming.

If your chimney is in good condition (no cracks, holes, or any other blemishes that would allow smoke or sparks into the attic space) you can just insert the stove into the fireplace and seal off around it with trim panels and some fiberglass roll insulation. YOU MUST MAKE SURE that your chimney is in excellent condition!!! Have it thoroughly inspected. Some chimneys have drafting problems, in which case you may need to do a direct connect or full lining.

Lining your chimney is good for many reasons. First, it makes it a lot safer by confining all the smoke, sparks, flames, and heat into a small sealed area. Secondly, a lining should make your stove draft better and reduce the amount of creosote build-up.

You will need an insert boot to mount over the exhaust on the stove. This boot then connects to the stainless steel liner which runs all the way to the top of your chimney. Once on top, you will need a top plate for the liner to pass through. You will then clamp a cap/storm collar onto the lining. This will keep rain (and critters if you opt for the bird screen) out of the chimney and the weight of the liner (it's not heavy at all) will hang on the top plate.

Check out http://www.servicesales.com/updated/chimneys/ventinox_liner.html for more details.

Specifically, boots can be found here: http://www.servicesales.com/updated/chimneys/ventinox_liner_components.html

I hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.