Central Boiler chimney sections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

salad

Nov 14, 2017
Parham, ON
Howdy,

My house came with one of the world-famous Central Boiler Classic CL5036 smoke dragons (I read "foresteater" on here - very accurate). It's a typical hackjob install with only the two 4' chimney sections that came included. Best part: it's upwind of everything.

Does anyone know the OEM of these chimneys? I can't imagine they make them themselves. I have a line on some used chimney from my parents' house that looks like it assembles in the same way, with self-tapping screws on the outside instead of locking bands/rings, and I'm wondering if I can make them fit. I'm not sure if the manufacturer is irrelevant if the fit is "pretty much the same" or how much variation there really is between connectors. I'm a bit new at this OWB game, if I had realized how bad the CL5036 is I would've offered $10k less for the house LOL

Thanks!

I'd it fits, go with it. With a draft fan, the chimney on an old school owb is really just about keeping smoke out of your face when it's running, being polite to neighbors, or meeting local code if you have that.

I'd just make sure you're using stainless pipe. If you're using screw-together galvanized pipe I think you should expect a very short lifespan. Exterior rated smoke pipe should use the locking bands, not screws, I do believe. I have been wrong before though....

Wish I had a draft fan. Right now with the chimney so short, not only does draft totally suck, but smoke ends up in the car, garage, half the house, and the barn. Drops down to ground level real fast.

The pipe in question was installed with a Newmac indoor combo oil/wood furnace in 1986 and is stainless HT/Class A if you will. From the outside it appears to be the same dimensions as the stuff that Central Boiler ships. The included stuff from CB uses small threads on the internal pipe (similar to the lid on a glass jar) with some screws on the exterior surface to keep it from coming undone. Guess I'll find out!

Thanks