central boiler redomends and comsumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ken999 said:
Ed- You didn't notice any difference in your burns? Extra smoke? Higher than 'normal' wood usage?

What was your final tally on wood for the season?

We burned 6 cord last year. Our house is 1800sf. No noticeable change in smoke or consumption. My chamber isn't ruptured as bad as some pic of others.
My furnace burns 24 hrs between reloads.

Gooserider said:
I suspect that a lot of the reason we don't see as many problems as you might expect w/ the steel fusion chamber is that most of the OWB installs I've seen are way oversized w/ respect to their loads, and are run like traditional OWB's, which means they aren't spending much time actually running as gassers, so there isn't as much strain on the chambers. The melt downs are probably only happening to the people that try to burn efficiently and size the boiler to match the load...

Gooserider

I finally saw a E-Classic up close and I really looked at the chamber. A factory rep was at the show along with a dealer showing them off. When really questioned about the failures noted above, he just gave a blank stare and said that he had never heard of any. When questioned about the steel holding up to the gasifier temps, he stated that he was not a engineer but said that they have sold allot of these units with no problems. I've been trying to figure out how they figured that steel would hold up and I think Gooserider may have hit it on the head. Without sustained burning, the steel might not see the temperatures that European downdrafters see. I'm sure Central Boiler was very aware that as a product that they want to sell to the American consumer to try and replace the OWB, American's would be burning these stoves like OWBs so they are producing over sized units and having the owners fill them up and burning them like all the others. I know that my old 6048 would produce less smoke after a couple burn cycles and if you also introduce secondary air in a separate burning chamber away from water cooled walls, it has to burn better. Probably not allot, but probably enough to be noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.