Central Fan with Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TurnerHeatUp

Feb 14, 2015
Bowdon,Ga
I have read similar topics on this matter. I have a three speed blower wood stove insert in my basement. My return is about 6 feet away from the unit. My duct work is not in the attic. My duct work is between up and downstairs. Would I get better results heating my 3000 square feet house by running my central fan? My central fan has three speeds. If the answer is that the central fan should be on, what speed should I have it on? Thanks

Technically the return is supposed to be at least 10 ft away from the stove. The best results would be by having the heat where it is needed, that is on the main floor. A stove or insert is an area heater. There's no harm in trying using the central air fan. The success will depend in part on how well insulated the ductwork is and how long the duct runs are. Try it on low speed.

I don't know how well it is insulated as far East the duct work itself. In the basement you have the floor joist below upstairs which has insulation, then you have ducts and piping in a confined space. Then you have a finished Sheetrock ceiling with speckling .

With the fan running and the stove burning, put a thermometer over the registers in the far parts of the house. If the temp reads 5-10F above the room temp then heat is being delivered there. If it is the same or cooler then there is too much heat loss in the ductwork to make this worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.