Ceramic fiberboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lugnutz

Jan 10, 2015
Cleveland Ga.
hello. I burn a voglezang Durango model tr008 for about 3 years now. Last night (early am) as I was putting some wood in I guess I bumped the fiberboard and cause a large piece to fall. Cracked and broke done. So now Saturday all day on the phone trying to find some more local ceramic fiberboard which is not happening so far. Couple of questions for the pros out there; 1: are there alternative product to use in place of the ceramic fiber board which is so hard to find. 2: I can get it from Vogelzang but it cost $85 for both pieces to be replaced not counting shipping which I don't know that yet.3: does anyone know of a cheaper source to get the ceramic fiber board.

hello. I burn a voglezang Durango model tr008 for about 3 years now. Last night (early am) as I was putting some wood in I guess I bumped the fiberboard and cause a large piece to fall. Cracked and broke done. So now Saturday all day on the phone trying to find some more local ceramic fiberboard which is not happening so far. Couple of questions for the pros out there; 1: are there alternative product to use in place of the ceramic fiber board which is so hard to find. 2: I can get it from Vogelzang but it cost $85 for both pieces to be replaced not counting shipping which I don't know that yet.3: does anyone know of a cheaper source to get the ceramic fiber board.
You can use a piece of kaowool with the old fiberboard as a backer

You can use a piece of kaowool with the old fiberboard as a backer
Thanks fire245 I will look into that. Really hoping to find some of this ellusive ceramic fiberboard. Any ideas why this stuff is so difficult to find? Seems a fairly common replacement item.

I wonder what the difference is between ceramic a vermiculite boards is? My stove is vermiculite for the baffle @ 1" thick.

Vermiculite is a naturally occurring mineral that has decent insulation value and can withstand high temps. A ceramic board is cast from silicas I think. Ceramics is a science all by itself. It can be cast into varying densities and properties depending on the addition of other elements.

begreen - thanks so much for the link. :)

Vermiculite is a naturally occurring mineral that has decent insulation value and can withstand high temps. A ceramic board is cast from silicas I think. Ceramics is a science all by itself. It can be cast into varying densities and properties depending on the addition of other elements.
Which ones better?

Good question. I don't know if either is hugely better than the other. It depends on the application and location. Each material has it's own properties. And there are other good insulation board materials as well. Skamol for example is calcium silicate, but is not quite as effective as vermiculite at high temps, but it is lighter and a great insulator.

http://www.skamol.com/Insulating-boards.87.aspx

Good question. I don't know if either is hugely better than the other. It depends on the application and location. Each material has it's own properties. And there are other good insulation board materials as well. Skamol for example is calcium silicate, but is not quite as effective as vermiculite at high temps, but it is lighter and a great insulator.

http://www.skamol.com/Insulating-boards.87.aspx
Thanks begreen great info and will checking out some of these resources. I used to be stationed up ther in puget sound naval shipyard and at whidbey is. Naval air station 1992~1995. Beautiful area. What kind of wood do you primarily burn there?

Doug fir and soft maple normally, sometimes alder. Hardwood is harder to come by but I have a stash of madrona, locust and wild cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.