1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ceramic log repair

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Stegman, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Stegman

Stegman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sterling, MA
    Picked up a new [used] gas stove yesterday, but made the mistake of not removing the ceramic logs before loading it into the truck. When I got home 86 miles later, I discovered they had become dislodged and knocked around a bit. They didn't break, but a couple of them have chipped, leaving less-than-realistic looking white spots.

My question: What, if anything, can I use to touch up these white spots on the logs? I was thinking of maybe just good old brown/black/gray magic marker.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    i've used high temp stove paint on logs for years, i prefer charcoal by stove brite
    DAKSY likes this.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I would guess that magic marker would burn off
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Like Dave said, Hi-temp stove paint works best, & I've used it in the past. Make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before you light the stove, tho.
    I HAVE had it ignite if the repaired spot was directly in contact with the flames... If any logs have broken into larger pieces, I've managed to reattach/repair them with longer drywall screws. You have to use a manual screwdriver, tho, NOT a powered driver.